Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Hungarian SS units- any info on what helmets they would wear?

Article about: Hello all, I have family that was in a Hungarian SS unit fighting the Communists on the Eastern front. He survived the war but destroyed all photos. I have no intel to go by but what would t

Default Hungarian SS units- any info on what helmets they would wear?

Hello all,

I have family that was in a Hungarian SS unit fighting the Communists on the Eastern front. He survived the war but destroyed all photos. I have no intel to go by but what would they have worn for helmets- German Issue or Hungarian?

If anyone has info that be great or dare I even ask for a photo- ha!

Thanks all!

Default Re: Hungarian SS units- any info on what helmets they would wear?

You may find some useful information here:

Hungarian Units of the Waffen SS - Uniforms & Insignia
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Conventional Waffen SS issue helmet. By this stage of the war most likely a single decal M40 or M42: or a no decal M42.

Cherrs, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Great information- thank you both!

Hi!

Which unit did he fought in?
    Hungarian volunteers were recruited into several SS divisions and subdivision units and kampfgruppe forces.
    Hungarian SS units wore helmets and caps including german and hungarian types.
    Regular SS divisions like 8.Florian Geyer and 22.Maria Theresia had standard german M35s, M40s and M42s with or without SS decals. Late war divisions like 25.Hunyadi and 26.Hungaria mainly were under transportation and training usually hastily and poorly equipped even with captured french, czechslovakian, belgian and finnish lot and of course any available german and hungarian uniforms, caps, coats, belts, boots etc.
    I try to find pics..

I wish I knew, he had to destroy all papers and photos after the Russians came into Hungary, they were looking for anyone who fought against them. He was actually successful but so much so that no one living has any info as to just what his service was. I know he fought the Russians on the Eastern front in the SS, he was a volunteer and not pressed into service. I know he was in the war earlier, perhaps as early as the start of the Russian campaign.

Now...there's supposedly one picture when he was back on leave, he is not in full uniform as my father explains it but it's kinda dressed down, if I can actually find it I'll post it here. Perhaps it may offer some clues.

But is sounds like if he was in the war earlier then his equipment and uniforms would be more standard German SS.
    Interesting.