MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Info about Bulgaria WW2 wanted

Article about: Hi, Does anyone know any good sites that give detailed information on battles etc the Bulgarians fought in in world war two. Also does anyone know of flight paths British pilots took over Bu

Default Info about Bulgaria WW2 wanted

Hi,

Does anyone know any good sites that give detailed information on battles etc the Bulgarians fought in in world war two.

Also does anyone know of flight paths British pilots took over Bulgaria in WW2 as my great grandfather said a British pilot was shot down near where he lives in Bulgaria during that time.

Cheers,

Guy

Default Re: Info about Bulgaria WW2 wanted

Hi Mugshot

Here you go:

Military history of Bulgaria during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bulgarian Armed Forces of WWII.

Bulgaria's WW2 Medals

When I was in Sofia I heard that it was heavily bombed by the Allies near the end of the war...

Greetz

Nick VR

?

Sofia was heavily bombed at the end of 1944 and the beginning of 1945. Also some other towns got some hits. The British aviation made night attack. Also single British bombers dropped supplies to partisan gangs in the country, some people believe there are still lots of caches of British weapons hidden in the mountains near the western border.

Thanks Nick, and thank you Sokol.

Im extremely interested in the partisan gangs! I wonder if it is true that there are still weapon drops still sitting in the mountains of western Bulgaria!!! Maybe I should purchase a metal detector and go for a walk when im there in 5 weeks

Im currently compiling information on different WW2 subjects and Bulgaria is of a great interest to me. It seems the Bulgarian people in general are not that interested in history so I have been finding it difficult to find out info while there.

?

Been there, very rough terrain, endless forests - nearly impossible to find But the stuff is still out there, old partisans have told stories about hiding the containers and never getting a chance to return for them! Also, I know a couple of places, where local villagers have buried USAAF bombs - intercepted by fighters, some bombers would drop the load /seems without arming, because the bombs were found not exploded?/ and turn back. The locals removed what was in their way, but probably many "guests" are still at the spot where they dropped!

Hey Sokol,

My father is used to hunting in the Bulgarian mountains so armed with my father, a shotgun, a bottle of red wine and Rakia, some food and a metal detector you never :P

Damn I need to investigate this partizan group more. Do you know which mountain ranges they were in...Rhodope or Balkan ranges? Im used to travelling through the Rhodopes only.

?

I think those cowards have been in many different places, the one I mention are the mountains - or rather the hills - between the capital and the Serbian border. The region was often visited also by Tito partisans, this caused the death of many lambs and pigs