MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italian Navy Submariner's badge?

Article about: I have this badge that I believe is an Italian Navy submariner's trade badge. However, I don't know much about it, and haven't had a lot of luck with my research. It seems to be of the type

Default Italian Navy Submariner's badge?

I have this badge that I believe is an Italian Navy submariner's trade badge. However, I don't know much about it, and haven't had a lot of luck with my research. It seems to be of the type worn by junior ratings, in the style introduced in either 1918 or 1920 (depending on the reference) and still worn today. Have any of you seen a similar example and, assuming the badge is genuine, could you give me an idea of when it might date to? I would think WW2, but I really don't know.

Thanks!

MAP
    ?

Can't help much, but John T has a photo of one in his archive at German War Booty

WW2 Italian Submarine Badge
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you, MAP. I believe the badge shown on John T's website is the smaller, gold badge worn by officers. Although, the descriptions I've read of this badge say that it should have a crown at the top!

MAP
    ?

Quote by Hallibag View Post
    Thank you, MAP. I believe the badge shown on John T's website is the smaller, gold badge worn by officers. Although, the descriptions I've read of this badge say that it should have a crown at the top!
    Will need some of our Italian member to help probably.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Are there any Italian members out there, who would be kind enough to share their thoughts?

?

Quote by Hallibag View Post
    Are there any Italian members out there, who would be kind enough to share their thoughts?
    I`m not Italian,but I have a reference book that shows it as WW2 Italian submarine personnel with no crown,the officer badge is gold with crown and the dolphin faces in the other direction....Pete. ...PS....The book has an Italian author..Guido Rosignoli...
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

MAP
    ?

Besides the great info from Zwerge, I do know that Roberto and Ziomanno have been extremely helpful in the past when it comes to Italian items.

Morning everyone,
    Zwerge's info is excellent and correct, it is a badge for sailors embarked on submarines (ranks Sottocapo/ Comune), this variant has the following characteristics:
    -Silver colour
    -Large dimensions
    -Dolphin facing left
    -Without Crown at the top
    Then there is the version called "Distintivo d'Onore per Sommergibilisti" destined for higher ranks (Ufficiali/Sottufficiali):
    -Colour gold
    -Small dimensions
    -Dolphin facing right
    -With Crown

The silver variant has always remained fairly similar, while the gold variant has undergone the following changes:
    -With Royal Crown (WW2 period)
    -Without Crown(RSI period and postwar)
    -Crown with Towers (Italian Republic period)

But I'm not a great expert on the subject so I can not give a sure opinion on this example, it is similar to the WW2 version, but it could also be a replica, there are many around.
    I leave you a link where there is a table with Italian Republic models (see N. 39 and 40).

Ammiraglio di Squadra Luigi Tomasuolo - Marina Militare

Regards
    Roberto
    Last edited by OldSteel; 04-30-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add info

Thank you to everyone who has replied!

I've read that the attachment point for the hinged pin on the original badges was close to the second "M" in "SOMMERGIBILI" (as it is on my badge), which is not the case with the replica badges. Hopefully, if this is correct, it points to this particular badge being an authentic one.

To identify those badge its not always so easy, as others said , pretty same style from the ww1 to the modern days!
    I think we have a genuine "Sommergibilisti" ww2 EM badge here, by this kind of pin and by the design, i would say its an early production too, to wear on the left sleeve!
    The hook down is broken?
    Nice been there looking for sure, i like it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast