Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Sword, opinions needed

Article about: Hi, i have been offered this japanese sword. I know the picture isnt of best quality however this is all i have been given so far from seller. Im wondering if anyone can give me any tips on

Default Japanese Sword, opinions needed

Hi, i have been offered this japanese sword. I know the picture isnt of best quality however this is all i have been given so far from seller. Im wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what to look for when i go and view it.
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Sword, opinions needed  

Default Re: Japanese Sword, opinions needed

It is impossible to tell you anything from this dark picture. You will need to post good pictures of the tsuka (handle) and the tsuba(hand guard). If the owner has removed the handle already, good pictures of the tang vertical are a must. The top of the tang should be up in the picture and the butt at the bottom. It is likely not a Chinese fake but good pictures are a must.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Ok, when i go and view it i will get some more pics, thanks

You may also check the area of the cutting edge directly above the habaki(collar on the blade between the tsuba and the cutting edge). Inform us if it is dull for the first inch or sharp. If there is a serial number on the habaki, that is a definite sign of a Chinese fake. Are you buying this from a dealer or a private party?
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Private party.

?

As Bob has stated , that photo alone is of no use for identification purposes , post as many close ups of the details as possible and you will get a definitive response .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I know it is difficult to tell from the picture, but it reminds me of a chinese repro I saw a few years ago. There doesn't appear to be any ray skin on the handle between the binding. Much better pictures would obviously prove me wrong.