Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M38 Hungarian Stahlhelm (Finnish?)

Article about: Hello! I found this helmet for a mere flea market price and was wondering if it is an original Hungarian M38 helmet. So, tell me are the liners and chin strap original Hungarian? What about

Default M38 Hungarian Stahlhelm (Finnish?)

Hello!

I found this helmet for a mere flea market price and was wondering if it is an original Hungarian M38 helmet. So, tell me are the liners and chin strap original Hungarian? What about the paint job, is it Hungarian, Finnish, or maybe post war?

The helmet seems to have been stationed in some kind of stand that went inside the helmet, when it was painted (see the circle inside the dome).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M38 Hungarian Stahlhelm (Finnish?)   M38 Hungarian Stahlhelm (Finnish?)  

M38 Hungarian Stahlhelm (Finnish?)   M38 Hungarian Stahlhelm (Finnish?)  

M38 Hungarian Stahlhelm (Finnish?)  
    Last edited by Finnlander; 12-19-2013 at 05:14 PM.

The shell and liner look good to me, can't comment on the paint though!..

nice helmet.

i did not know there was an m38 until now

You'll always learn something new!

?

Don't know what model this helmet is but the paint looks good to me a nice solid helmet overall

Hi its a good M38 helmet made for Finland and has a wartime Finnish Army liner fitted , Nice helmet

Thank you for the answers guys. Im still unsure about the paintjob. A Finnish militaria shop owner said that there is a paintjob underneath, so it might very well be that it is a war time paintjob, or immediate post-war. The colour is exact wartime one. The first paintjob is obviously the Hungarian factory applied one.

If anyone has a clue, feel free to answer!

That's a very decent, original finnish helmet. All the components are vintage hungarian parts. Paint also looks to be the correct greygreen color. There is not much wear and patina on this helmet but from what I see It's a ++ M38. It's not unusual to see a second layer of paint on finnish issued helmets, the presence of an overpaint does not mean automatically a postwar application. I have some finnish ww2 period helmets in my collection with overpaint though finnish helmet collecting is really complicated and it's really hard to find untouched examples.
    My compliments.
    Cheers
    Attila
    Last edited by easternwarfront; 01-16-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks Attila, that's what I wanted to hear !