Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Post Your Spanish Buckles

Article about: I wanted to start a thread for Spanish buckles in order to create a reference database. Many of the Spanish buckles available are difficult to identify or date because they are mostly relega

?

Default Post Your Spanish Buckles

I wanted to start a thread for Spanish buckles in order to create a reference database. Many of the Spanish buckles available are difficult to identify or date because they are mostly relegated to the Franco period which spanned almost 4 decades from 1939 t0 1975. The post Franco buckles are easy to identify by the closed crown of the monarchy as are the pre Republic era prior to 1931 which also feature the crown of King Alfonso XIII. The civil war era buckles of 1936 -1939 are more readily identifiable but many were worn by both sides of the conflict. It is particularly difficult to differentiate between the early and late Franco era. There are very few comprehensive reference books to aid in this endeavor. If you are aware of any good reference books or links, please post them here as well.

Please feel free to post any buckles you may own or are trying to identify. Hopefully in due time, members will be able to contribute useful information for other collectors.

MY FIRST POST IS A 1943 REGULATION GALA PARADE BELT AND BUCKLE AS WORN BY THE GUARDIA CIVIL

Post Your Spanish BucklesPost Your Spanish Buckles

?

here is the same setup on display in a spanish military museum

?

Falange Youth of Franco 1940-1944

CREDIT JMM for Illustration

?

1940's era aviation buckle. Some credit this type of buckle as civil war Nationalist's aviation buckle, Legion Condor, etc. I cannot confirm that these are pre 1940.

?

1943 Regulation Spanish Buckle ?

I originally bought this as a Spanish Civil War Belt: I bought this because of the provenance associated with the collection they came from.

Footnote: From the collection of approximately 900 German buckles accumulated by John R. Angolia, who start collecting buckles, belts and brocades from 1944 until around 1990; most of the buckles were obtained from the American and German veterans; most of these buckles present a core of Angolia’s book “Belt Buckles & Brocades of the Third Reich”, published in 2001. -

I now see that these belts are very common and were used in some form or another for about 3 decades. An educated guess would put this as a 1940's era standard army buckle.

?

Falange buckle: these buckle were used by Falange and Blue Division members. They were in use from the civil war era through 1960's or possibly later. The Falange movement remained popular throughout Franco's reign so it is hard to date these.

Post Your Spanish BucklesPost Your Spanish Bucklesmynew Belt Buckle any Idea what it was used for? Maker CERECEDA
    Thanks&Regards
    Germanski

?

Quote by Germanski View Post
    Post Your Spanish BucklesPost Your Spanish Bucklesmynew Belt Buckle any Idea what it was used for? Maker CERECEDA
    Thanks&Regards
    Germanski
    Germanski, this type of buckle falls under a typical Franco era type with the open crown, Stylized eagle and cross of Santiago in red enamel. these are described on Spanish websites as "ejercito de tierra" Ground forces, aka Army. I suppose the date on this type can span anywhere from the 1940's until the mid 1970's. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help us figure out how to distinguish the early versions from the later versions. Keep posting your buckles and eventually we may get an answer.

Regards, Al.

?

"Republicanized" Civil war era Infantry buckle: This is an interesting modified buckle I found on the internet (not part of my collection) It appears to be a standard Infantry buckle from the King Alfonso XIII era that has been modified for reuse after 1931 during the formation of the new Republic. You can clearly see the monarch crown has been ground down. This type of buckle also saw use into the civil war years of 1936-1939 by both sides of the conflict.

?

Here is another modified "Republicanized" buckle. This is a two piece construction where the crown was removed to accommodate the new republic of Spain, after the abdication of King Alfonso XIII.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast