Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on this M33 Italian Helmet

Article about: Hi All, Just picked up this Italian M33, what are your thoughts on the paint? any opinions are appreciated Thank you

Default Thoughts on this M33 Italian Helmet

Hi All,
    Just picked up this Italian M33, what are your thoughts on the paint? any opinions are appreciated
    Thank you

Thoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian Helmet

looks like a good ww2 example with its original liner and chin strap (not being post war refitted as many were). so to me there is a good chance the overcoat paintwork is period. I like it.
    that's all I can say, hopefully some of our M33 experts will come along.
    Rod

?

Any markings on the liner?

?

Can you take a closeup of the air vent and also the inner part of the air vent? A shot taken from the interior of the helmet..

I see the original Olive-Green beneath that crumbling brownish coat...
    Other than that it matches the ones I've owned in the past...They can still be found at affordable prices, but that's changing...
    cheers, Glenn

More pics will be coming when Im off next week, the thick brownish paint is very old and crazing, not sure if it is some kind of period applied camo-ing reason but ive read that some were sent to spain and they painted them brown... getting hard to find originals with so many post war examples flooding the market.

Judging by the brown tone, in my opinion, this paint is an early post war job (around 1950); but the shell, liner, "grigioverde" color and chinstrap are WWII, and I bet the air vents too.
    Try to find out the production code stamped on the rear, inner skirt.

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Judging by the brown tone, in my opinion, this paint is an early post war job (around 1950); but the shell, liner, "grigioverde" color and chinstrap are WWII, and I bet the air vents too.
    Try to find out the production code stamped on the rear, inner skirt.
    I agree, an early post war respray!....

?

Yes it seems a postar work, but the last word is given by the airvents.
    According to these picts I cannot understand if they are a 2nd or 4th model..and this is important.
    Even if also the airvents are ok, it could be a wartime helmet reissued in the first '50s..
    Let's wait for new closeups

- - ------- - -

Yes it seems a postwar work, but the last word is given by the airvents.
    According to these picts I cannot understand if they are a 2nd or 4th model..and this is important.
    Even if also the airvents are ok, it could be a wartime helmet reissued in the first '50s..
    Let's wait for new closeups

UPDATE-I finally took the requested photo's, the liner is marked torino and size 60 (yes its a big boy!) the only marking I can find inside the shell on the rear skirt is P 109 I believe, sadly one of the liner bands is broken but what do you expect, this thing has been through alot and worn!! from what I can see there is what appears to be a black stencil under the overpaint on the front, so my conclusion is an original lid and liner, possibly a unit marked shell, repainted either 46-48 new republic reddish brown, or sent to spain after the war and repainted,(spanish brown repaints are pretty common from what Ive read and I most likely overpaid if that is the case)......maybe even used by an italian during the spanish civil war? if only the helmet could talk, either way it makes a great display piece and shows alot of character, curious to hear everyone's opinions and thank you for looking and helping!!!!!!!!!
    Thoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian HelmetThoughts on this M33 Italian Helmet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast