Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Vichy French "Milice".. whats that on his chest??

Article about: Please move this if it's in the wrong section - wasn't sure where to post it. I was browsing through Wikipedia looking at some info on Vichy France (blame the history channel..) when I came

?

Default Vichy French "Milice".. whats that on his chest??

Please move this if it's in the wrong section - wasn't sure where to post it. I was browsing through Wikipedia looking at some info on Vichy France (blame the history channel..) when I came accross this picture of a member of the Milice (Militia).

Is that a German Wound badge on his chest ? If so, why?!

Vichy French "Milice".. whats that on his chest??

It seems like an odd decoration for a member of the French Vichy Militia to be wearing. I'm sure I can see a swastica there, so it couldn't be a WW1 badge surely. Were the Milice awarded German decorations?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vichy French "Milice".. whats that on his chest??  

Default Re: Vichy French "Milice".. whats that on his chest??

It certainly is a 1939 Black Wound badge. I have no idea of the regulations concerning German awards to the Milice. A very interesting photo.

Cheers, Ade.

Starfort60
    ?

Hello Nibody,
    I know you posted your query a long time ago, but I've only just joined the forum and came across it. The bloke in the photo is a part-time member of the Milice (they were all called up in June 1944), and the German wound badge in black probably indicates previous service in the LVF on the Eastern Front. He was either invalided out, or (as the LVF had official Vichy government recognition) finished his term in the formation, returned to France and joined the Milice.

This picture is particular, the man have the correct blue jacket, very rare, the shirt is civil, thhe revolver is a mod 92, this army can do what it want, because they work with SS, Gestapo...I don't see shoulderboards...
    A picture of the summer 1944, in one month, this man will be died! No prisonner with them.
    The men at left ar not tourists, they are going to death.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Starfort60
    ?

Oui, oui. Mais, peut etre, le milicien ici pas reste en France, mais allais au Allegmagne et le Charlemagne de SS et mort. (Malheursement, ma francaise est tres, tres mauvais!)

No only the hight ranks go to Italy, Germany. Perhaps the same place, they are in blue.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

probably the next item on his chest was a knife.