Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

What Do You Make Of This Croatian Ustasha Beer Mug??

Article about: Normally, I don't do alot of wondering about authenticity and such, but I came across this fascinating Beer Mug and I'm just not that sure on what to think of it. It has no markings or maker

Default What Do You Make Of This Croatian Ustasha Beer Mug??

Normally, I don't do alot of wondering about authenticity and such, but I came across this fascinating Beer Mug and I'm just not that sure on what to think of it. It has no markings or makers stamp. The seller is, obviously, Helmut Weitze-the top seller in all of Germany and a pretty straight reputation as well, but as much as I'd Like to purchase this mug, there are a few things that are bothering me about it. Weitze's story, when I inquired about it was that it was acquired from a German soldier's family from his estate and that he had brought it back from Croatia as a souvenir. He had never seen another in 30 years and I can say the same thing also.

The problems that I have with it are #1: It looks Very new-even on the bottom rim where it is expected to see wear from 70 years or more of sitting on shelves. Of course, it may have been packed away somewhere in a truck or closet and never sat anywhere at all...? #2. The "U". First of all, the colors of the checkerboard shield and the surrounding border of the "U" are Red-as they Should be. But the "U" when you see them on flags, uniform insignias, etc are almost always in Bright Blue. The Ustasha colors were Red,White and Blue. The fact that this "U" is Not Blue but is Red is disturbing to me. I have no idea if this Red colored "U" is to be found like this elsewhere or are they All in Blue? I cannot recall ever Seeing a Red "U". Lastly, the #3 problem is, the Ustasha "U"s are universally drawn with the Left arm of the "U" being wide and the Right arm of the "U" being thin. This "U" on the mug is uniform in shape and thickness.

So, there you have the dilemma! Is it Good? Or is it a Modern Fantasy item? Weitze claims it's good and has a known History to it, but, of course, a story can sometimes be just a Story. What do you guys think? Let's hear your thoughts on it! I included a couple of photos of a flag I once had and a pin to show you what I mean about the "U".

What Do You Make Of This Croatian Ustasha Beer Mug??What Do You Make Of This Croatian Ustasha Beer Mug??What Do You Make Of This Croatian Ustasha Beer Mug??What Do You Make Of This Croatian Ustasha Beer Mug??What Do You Make Of This Croatian Ustasha Beer Mug??
    Last edited by Wagriff; 08-27-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

No thoughts on it?
    William

Not my mug of beer...
    ;-)
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

I can see why you have questions about this. there could be a few reasons..Maybe it was easier to stamp the entire logo in one color?

Either it's as rare as hen's teeth and frog's hair....or else it's a complete fraud.
    William

?

There are many variations of modern made Ustasha mug out there. Personally, I would not take a chance on this piece. The detail, although present in the piece, is clearly absent in the most important area, i.e. the "U". This would be too much for me to overlook. Regarding the story, I respect that some ceramics can be well preserved - but a veteran bring back in such fine condition? It almost looks fresh out of the factory.

Exactly, Carl. There are just too many oddities about this mug that cannot be easily explained away. As much as a person would Like it to be genuine, I'm having to give it the thumbs down. Frankly I'm surprised that a top dealer like Weitze would offer it for sale-and with an unbelievable story as well. Course, then again, a dealer can be duped by His sources too sometimes, I guess-all of which ends up making Him look bad for it.
    William