Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

ww2 Hungarian helmets

Article about: Wow- very impressive collection. My 1st Hungarian Combat helmet is in no where this mint condition but I am very happy to have it in my collection. It's a MÁVAG 66, still has liner band and

Default Re: ww2 Hungarian helmets

Wow- very impressive collection. My 1st Hungarian Combat helmet is in no where this mint condition but I am very happy to have it in my collection.

It's a MÁVAG 66, still has liner band and chin strap rings but is in rough shape inside...if I ever come across a original liner I'd swap it out.

ww2 Hungarian helmetsww2 Hungarian helmetsww2 Hungarian helmetsww2 Hungarian helmets

The one thing that I was surprised at is the weight of the Hungarian helmet, it "feels" lighter than the German counterparts I own. If I knock on it with my knuckle it feels less dense than when I do the same to the German helmet.

I am very happy with it, I'll have to see if there are any other markings hiding in the rusty inside. I think the prior owner stored it upside down

Quote by easternwarfront View Post
    No, that's why we call this type hungarian M35 helmet because these were made in Hungary.
    Two makers:
    1. MÁVAG (Magyar Királyi Vas, Acél és Gépgyárak in Budapest
    --maker mark "MÁVAG" ( DM in helmets produced for Finnland)

2. Magyar Waggon és Gépgyár in Győr
    --maker mark "GY" ( DR in helmets for Finnland)
    75.000 helmets were shipped to Finnland. Unfortunetly only these finnish helmets are known worldwide really among collectors although the vast majority remained in Hungary or ended in russian soil or forge.
    Great info!
    I've one from each makers: one with DM & one with DR stamps.

So you have M38 finnish helmets. Maybe you can complete your collection with the hungarian examples in the future.

Hungarian M47 or M35/47 helmet. Post-war 1947 adaption of the Hungarian M35 helmet. Original shell made by MAVAG size 64 (also marked with the Hungarian crest) with post-war liner. The medic markings are hand painted on the third layer of paint. Inner shell has two layers of paint. The medic markings are probably added by previous owner-collector.

ww2 Hungarian helmetsww2 Hungarian helmetsww2 Hungarian helmetsww2 Hungarian helmets

Hungarian issued german M35 helmet from close postwar era. 'Tildy' helmet, typical dark green-brwon paint with runs, Tildy liner. NS68 marked.
    Unique 35M civil defense 'A' type helmet reissued to the army by overpainting with green-grey.
    47M Tildy helmets. (35M shells)

?

Very interesting and informative. Good looking lids too. Thanks for posting.

?

Thanks for sharing gents, I was not aware these types of helmets were produced post war in Hungary.

The last one in particular is interesting, with the liner pin infront of the vent.

Nitram

Quote by Nitram View Post
    Thanks for sharing gents, I was not aware these types of helmets were produced post war in Hungary.

The last one in particular is interesting, with the liner pin infront of the vent.

Nitram
    Hi!

These helmets were all produced pre45 however some postwar made examples are also exist. (easy to detect because postwar made helmets lack the wartime stampings and royal hatchment and were solely made in Budapest since the factory in Győr was bombed down in april 1944 by the USAF) The last one is a standard german M35 helmet. M40s and M42s were also issued for the hungarian army after 1945.

Hello Easternwarfront,

Impressive collection you have!

Do you have information (any pics?) on post war Army use of this helmet in Hungary? When was this helmet replaced by the Russian type steel helmet?

Chers,
    Emile

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast