Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 (or pre-war?) Italian dagger, red handle, nice scabbard ?

Article about: Hi guys, I have obtained this from a friend, with very limited knowledge about it. Only thing I know his family is Italian.. Dagger has a red composite handle, which is cracked in a few plac

ivi
    ?

Default WW2 (or pre-war?) Italian dagger, red handle, nice scabbard ?

Hi guys,

I have obtained this from a friend, with very limited knowledge about it. Only thing I know his family is Italian..
    Dagger has a red composite handle, which is cracked in a few places. It can not be wood, in my opinion, as it seems to have cracked due to elements. Holders on the handle are brass.
    Overall length 25cm.
    Scabbard has numbers 3 & 1 (or 31) stamped on it. Sigil application, which was on the scabbard, is missing.

Can anyone give any insight/ help ?

Thanks !

MAP
    ?

Not one I've ever seen...not that means much...but it almost looks like a theatre made knife. The Fuller goes all the way to the guard. Almost like a modified bayonet.

Just a guess. Probably wrong
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Wanted to add. What makes you think it is of Italian origin? The scabbard has an Oak Leaf motif which to me looks more Germanic. Just a thought.

Hopefully others will see this.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

ivi
    ?

MAP, only thing it makes me think of it as Italian origin, is that my friend from whom I got it is of Italian origin and he inherited it from family..

As MAP stated, this is not an official issue item. The blade seems to me a shortened Vetterli 1870 bayonet, so that could be Italian. The others components are custom made.

Italian as shepherd pie!
    I might immagine that could be a shortened Vetterly bayo for a sort of hunting/trench knife, but that scabbard looks too weird for something italian made, maybe it was added later recovered who knows where!

?

The scabbard is from Royal Serbian army dagger M 1939WW2 (or pre-war?) Italian dagger, red handle, nice scabbard ?WW2 (or pre-war?) Italian dagger, red handle, nice scabbard ?WW2 (or pre-war?) Italian dagger, red handle, nice scabbard ?