Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)

Article about: My Very limited research points towards a Possible brief use by Hungarian Paratroopers but not 100% certain but can confirm this Helmet is of Czechoslovakian manufacture ,any extra info on t

Default Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)

My Very limited research points towards a Possible brief use by Hungarian Paratroopers from the 1970's/80's but not 100% certain but can confirm this Helmet is of Czechoslovakian manufacture ,any extra info on this type of helmet would be appreciated Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)
    Regards James

Beautiful camo....

Thanks Ade and totally agree mate ,It fits in well with a few other shall we say colourful Warsaw pact helmets in my collectionAirborne helmet (Hungary ?)
    Regards James

I don't know anything about these but I wonder if it is one of the two labelled 'protihluková přilba' at the bottom of this page? That means 'anti-noise helmet' so I'd assume usually issued to artillery troops or the like, but obviously might be used in other areas as well. Have a look anyway -

Èeskoslovenské pøilby

(And on something else altogether - I have been unable to post anything as a 'New Thread' since the beginning of December. I get either a completely blank screen when using Firefox or a '500 error' (which means server-side fault) when trying Chrome. I contacted admin about this weeks ago but nothing has happened. I understand at least one other member has a similar problem. It's really annoying.)

Thanks for the Link Greg very informative and have book marked the page ,as daft as it sounds the tape used across the center line is a sort of brown faux grained wood effect like the second from the very bottom of the page on the link
    I've not noticed any problems when recently starting threads Greg so not sure what's going wrong for you ,Lets hope admin get to the bottom of it
    Regards James

Are there pics of these being used by Paras?

As you'll know, there are other "head-huggers" along the same lines as your lid James. The Polish HD-3 Missile Crew one is huge and, even without the electronics, is highly a effective noise insulator (great for those family Christmases by the way...well, everyone else had a silly hat on too!). And, again so-called, East German Navy...well, that's what I was told....but with "wood" strip ??? - what's that all about ??. Like yours they all fit the head very tightly at the edges via a padded leather stitched-on rim piece presumably to keep noise out...but with the ballistic properties of a paper hat from a Christmas Cracker ('see what I did there?).

Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)Airborne helmet (Hungary ?)

Is it REALLY Navy?...and why wood????

Hey Nice posting Ade and you have an exact same helm as mine in the base green so assuming military issue and yours shows the wood strip to full effect ,Our good Hungarian Forum Friend Fabe posted up the white version well three in fact and noted them as Para issue some time back allthough Gregs link hints the white as civilian issue unless i have got my wires crossed ,see here Cold War Hungarian Paratroopers Helmet - unissued That Polish Missile crew lid is a beast and i would struggle to display that one for sure ,great for family Christmases ,made me chuckle that did
    Regards James

The whole Para thing still confuses me.....Para lids are USUALLY compact/tight-fitting, small and with a plethora of straps......these “head-huggers” are larger than normal Helmets, have ear defenders and a single strap......

That’s why I’d like to see Photos...I’m not doubting what we’ve all been told...I just don’t get the logic......yet.

Myself neither Ade and i have searched the world wide web for photographic evidence but have so far drawn a blank ,Maybe Fabe can add more to the discussion ,one thing i have noticed is most of the other contemporary Para helmets like the East German Veb and Czech paratrooper helmet all have that singular strap ,not sure if there is ear cups present inside them though
    Maybe Greg was spot on when he mentioned anti noise helmet for what would be ground troops so i think i will narrow my search and move away from the airborne theory
    Regards James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast