Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Army Northern Ireland Riot Helmet

Article about: Hi all. Just wanted to share some pics of my latest helmet find. I have seen these referred to as the the 'Helmet, ART' (Anti- Riot Topper), but I do not know if that was the official design

Default British Army Northern Ireland Riot Helmet

Hi all. Just wanted to share some pics of my latest helmet find. I have seen these referred to as the the 'Helmet, ART' (Anti- Riot Topper), but I do not know if that was the official designation. For those who do not know these were made up from Army motorcycle helmets (as can be seen on the label) and re- issued for use in riots.

My example is a little incomplete on the inside. It displays well, however and I was lucky enough to trade it for a box of stay- brite buttons and a fiver, so I thought that was a good deal. .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army Northern Ireland Riot Helmet   British Army Northern Ireland Riot Helmet  

British Army Northern Ireland Riot Helmet   British Army Northern Ireland Riot Helmet  

British Army Northern Ireland Riot Helmet  

Interesting find, I have seen one of these before but never up close. You got a good deal too for sure!

?

The earlier MK IV/ KM V Helmets with a Riot Shield seem to utilize an identical shield, I wonder if they were extras from the production of the earlier helmets.

thats a nice find spitace ,ive never seen close up photos of one before ,i like the fact it still has its motorcycle label, this style must of provided much more protection for the wearer than the earlier mk4 turtle ,although as made from grp it had no ballistic protection ,cheers james

?

I also join the ranks of not having seen one so close up before.
    That is a cool helmet to have, and you got it for a bargain price

Brad.

Nice find, i had one about 15 years ago but just the helmet without the shield. it was in the pannier of an ex army Armstrong MT 500 that i bought!...(nice bike but the brakes scared me to death)

I have seen a few of these over the years and they used to be really cheap, but probably not any more.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Again very nice example, with an interesting history behind it,politically and from a military point of view!

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree that these would provide more protection than old turtle shell, especially around the ears. I would like to get the series of British helmet with visors. I have a visor for a MK6 but unfortunately it has no brackets to fit it to the helmet