Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British Combat vehicle crewman's helmet

Article about: My first composite helmet is the CVCH with desert camo overpaint and complete set of headphones and mike. Helmet is made by National Plastics and the headphones by Racal Acoustics England. I

Default British Combat vehicle crewman's helmet

My first composite helmet is the CVCH with desert camo overpaint and complete set of headphones and mike. Helmet is made by National Plastics and the headphones by Racal Acoustics England.

I am not sure what date this is, seems to be a bit confusing from a search, as was a search of the NSN code # 8415-99-652-381
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Combat vehicle crewman's helmet   British Combat vehicle crewman's helmet  

British Combat vehicle crewman's helmet   British Combat vehicle crewman's helmet  

British Combat vehicle crewman's helmet   British Combat vehicle crewman's helmet  

British Combat vehicle crewman's helmet  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Anyone know a good source for info/dating etc on these?
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, nice helmet.

I can't help with a source for research at the moment. I am no expert on these and since the early steel HSAV types the variants have looked very similar but what I would say is that these items as with most British Army kit have remained in service with various modifications alongside subsequent issued items. That is to say that UK forces almost always have obsolescent (as oppossed to obsolete) kit in service and it tends to move from first line inf/cav/arty units to seccond line support and reserve units so it is possible that your lid was in use for quite a long time from issue. This one being marked with the initials ASM suggest to me a REME unit if those initials refer as I suspect to "Artifiicer Sergeant Major" or "Tiffy", a senior non-comissioned appointment in a REME unit the holder of which (like RSM etc) would not feel the need to mark kit with his name as every one knows exactly who he is!!!

I will look about for reference info and post what I find.

In the meantime I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark for giving me a help with this. Obviously this is not something I know much about, I just happened upon it local to me. It is certainly an interesting piece of modern kit and it would be good to find out more about it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Nice addition Jerry and great to see you on this side of the forum A bit vague but as far as i know the earlier Armoured Vehicle Crewman (Bonedome/dan dare) helmet seemed to be a product of the 1970's and replaced sometime in the 1980's with the example you show (CVC)but when exactly I'm not certain Really liking the Tan overpaint and In my opinion a good indication it saw use in the Persian Gulf
    I'm waiting on one in the post at the moment but just a bare shell with liner and my intention if it arrives is to fit a spare Racal headset I've had in the pile for some years ,I just hope i haven't made the mistake of picking up the very similar air traffic controller helmet instead
    It would be beneficial to the forum if somebody could decifer these nato stock codes as I'm struggling to pinpoint the dates on a few MK6 helmet covers at the moment on a different thread
    Regards James

James.

I assume (always open to pitfalls) that the air traffic version is marked as such on the sticker!

I'll keep an eye out for it when it arrives.

I quite often see mkVI helmets with covers, I could have picked one the other day for £9 helmet and cover, I might grab it if it is still there next time I am visiting the seller.

I did try to work out the nato codes but could not work out the date, though I think it is 1980's but used into the 90's.
    Regards,

Jerry

Great stuff Jerry for £9 well worth buying a mk6 example ,yes i would agree 80's through the 90's on your cvc ,I have the latter version British CVC perhaps 2000 onwards so the one in the post will fill the gap in my collection
    All the best to you and your family for 2017
    James British Combat vehicle crewman's helmetBritish Combat vehicle crewman's helmetBritish Combat vehicle crewman's helmet

'not sure if this helps.......???

https://wikileaks.org/wiki/NATO_Stock_Number

Well the CVC finally landed on the doorstep ,took a while as it came out of the Scottish highlands so delivery was weather permitting .managed to squeeze the Racal headset on but think it could be an earlier vintage set than yours Jerry also the mic seems to be at an odd angle no matter how i position itHate these long winter nights British Combat vehicle crewman's helmetBritish Combat vehicle crewman's helmetBritish Combat vehicle crewman's helmet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast