Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

british gs mk6

Article about: Hi James. I could be wrong here and I have not read all posts so forgive me if this has already been said but I thought scrim and sniper tape was a recent thing done in iraq and afghan not d

a small update ,ive been exploring under the sniper tape and managed to find a few large remnants of the two tone netting so ive done a comb over to show youid be interested to learn more of the origins of this two tone british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6

Quote by James C View Post
    a small update ,ive been exploring under the sniper tape and managed to find a few large remnants of the two tone netting so ive done a comb over to show youid be interested to learn more of the origins of this two tone british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6
    Can't give you a date when the two tone scrim was introduced but it's been around for a long time James!...

?

Hi James I do believe although dont hold me to this that the two tone scrim net is typically a para issue piece dating back to WW2 but still in use today just like the regular OG scrim. I am pretty certain Kitmonster used to sell it advertised as either para or sniper scrim net and SOF sell it as WW2 scrim scarf. WW2 British Scrim Scarf Cheers! Sean.

?

Yeah it is quite old as the guys say!!. I think somebody has tried to turn his/hers MK6 into something of a Para lid..Not so sure if it is a good idea if they have been deployed to Northern Ireland..looking at the visor mounts. One petrol bomb & that lot on your nut it would be bonfire night very quickly....& if PAX "Civvie/Army insurance company" gets wind of that no payout..lol Cheers Terry.

?

Hi James, very nice comb over , you got me chuckling there LOL

It is very interesting to see what is essentially a WW2 style net on a contemporary helmet, but why not, infantry customisation must relieve the boredom in those "hurry up and wait" moments.

The French also borrowed the idea of the two tone net for the OTAN 51, and again why not it's a timeless design and very effective!

Great bit of detective work there, that's what I like about this hobbie, there's always something to discover

?

Quote by seandm View Post
    Hi James I do believe although dont hold me to this that the two tone scrim net is typically a para issue piece dating back to WW2 but still in use today just like the regular OG scrim. I am pretty certain Kitmonster used to sell it advertised as either para or sniper scrim net and SOF sell it as WW2 scrim scarf. WW2 British Scrim Scarf Cheers! Sean.

Popular myth about the two-tone scrim scarf being para' issue only!
    As I am sure a few of my former British army colleagues will confirm, It's not, it's actually a general issue item, just not seen very often in anything other than the plain green version, and the design does originally date back to mid/late WWII.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

well many thanks paul ,sean ,opex ,terry and ian to be honest i never realised a two tone netting was available as id only heard of the od type ,ive learned a lot more about this helmet thanks to your valuble help guys ,i was disapointed the netting was completely removed from the shell but was pleased i found so much of it hidden away ,i going to keep it like this with its part covering ,i like it cheers fella's ,much appreciated, james

sean as you know SOF is based here in wales and as i was passing thought it would be rude not to pop in ,i picked up this very same scarf ,opex has given me the idea to put it to good use on my french otan ,ive been looking for a worthy camo cover for agesbritish gs mk6

?

Hi James! I like that! I wouldnt mind getting one of those myself! Is it the same as on your MK6? What did you make of the SOF warehouse? Cheers! Sean.

hi sean ,well for 10 pound well worth it ,i can spend that on one helmet cover ,ive quatered this one so have covers for 3 more lids if need be ,id gladly send you enough to cover one if you want mate ,the warehouse is superb ,full of mannequins in all sort of battle dress ,the guy said they were quiet on the customer side but very busy on the mail order side ,let us know if you want a piece ,the pattern seems very similar if not the same ,cheers james

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast