Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

british gs mk6

Article about: Hi James. I could be wrong here and I have not read all posts so forgive me if this has already been said but I thought scrim and sniper tape was a recent thing done in iraq and afghan not d

Default british gs mk6

morning fellow lid collectors ,this mk 6's has a nice salty been there look and one i just couldn't resist for the shelf ,plenty of owners scribblings inside and out the lower portion has a section of sniper tape which was used to hold the scrim netting of which there is some remnants ,from whats left of the netting i can see it was a two tone tan and light brown net so a shame its completely gone, either side of the helmet has mounting brackets for the polycarbonate face visor ,unfortunately it has no chinstrap ,but shouldnt be too difficult in finding a replacement ,my thoughts on this one and its probably just wishfull thinking is its seen use in the gulf at some point in its life i know woodland dpm was used early on in the first gulf war ,i added the cats eye band as the original was missing but there was a definative line showing where it once was ,enjoy james british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6british gs mk6
    Last edited by James C; 12-10-2016 at 09:14 PM.

?

Very nice Mk6 james, you are right these are often overlooked as collectable,which is a great pity,as I always feel they were a leap in technology from the old Mk5 !!

Your example has that definite been there look to it. I have several of these ranging from the early smooth finished version , DPM covered to DDPM versions.

The chinstraps are easily replaceable, but surprisingly expensive, but Great helmets, pity there is not a great deal of interest!!

Nice Mk6 James, agree these are underated. This one has a cool 'para' look to it with the tape and scrim remnants. I can probably sort you out with a strap, PM me your address mate

Exactly *who* overlooks them? I know a number of people who mainly collect composites, and who have really quite large collections including some very hard to get objects. Some of the more uncommon things cost a *lot*, which certainly cuts down what *I* can afford to buy, I can tell you! May I point people to Composite Helmets, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets International Guide for some evidence of this enthusiasm.

And as we're on the subject of composites, we all know, don't we, that the earliest Mk6s are the shiny ones (as opposed to the granular finish of all the others). But of those shiny ones, what is actually the earliest? I ask because not long ago I got one dated 1983-84, manufactured by a no longer existing outfit called NEI ELECTRONICS, and apparently made of some substance called 'Texolex', which is some sort of fibre resin going back to perhaps the 1940s, according to my shallow researches. According to some authorites the Mk6 became generally issued in the middle 1980s. But when was the first made?

This problem is more difficult to solve because the labels are often lost (they are sometimes hidden behind either the front or back padding) and the only other way to discover the date of manufacture for the shell is effectively destructive, as there *is* a date/maker/size indicator moulded in the crown of every Mk6, but unfortunately one needs to actually break the helmet (by cutting off the liner retaining rubber rivet) in order to see this. If only we had an infinite supply of those elusive CN8415 99 130 6035 Rivet Mk6.

What happened to that idea of a composite forum, anyway?

Hi James, its a cool looking helmet.

Do i see "lunch" jumping in the background???

Cheers
    Nuno

Looks like it has the attachments for a visor. Do you have one?

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Exactly *who* overlooks them? I know a number of people who mainly collect composites, and who have really quite large collections including some very hard to get objects. Some of the more uncommon things cost a *lot*, which certainly cuts down what *I* can afford to buy, I can tell you! May I point people to Composite Helmets, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets International Guide for some evidence of this enthusiasm.

And as we're on the subject of composites, we all know, don't we, that the earliest Mk6s are the shiny ones (as opposed to the granular finish of all the others). But of those shiny ones, what is actually the earliest? I ask because not long ago I got one dated 1983-84, manufactured by a no longer existing outfit called NEI ELECTRONICS, and apparently made of some substance called 'Texolex', which is some sort of fibre resin going back to perhaps the 1940s, according to my shallow researches. According to some authorites the Mk6 became generally issued in the middle 1980s. But when was the first made?

This problem is more difficult to solve because the labels are often lost (they are sometimes hidden behind either the front or back padding) and the only other way to discover the date of manufacture for the shell is effectively destructive, as there *is* a date/maker/size indicator moulded in the crown of every Mk6, but unfortunately one needs to actually break the helmet (by cutting off the liner retaining rubber rivet) in order to see this. If only we had an infinite supply of those elusive CN8415 99 130 6035 Rivet Mk6.

What happened to that idea of a composite forum, anyway?
    It seems I have one of the earlier ones Greg, it's a shiny finish and has a nape protector installed for probably NI use I reckon. Will shoot a few pics when I get home. A composite forum would be cool as I have also collected these over the years. Only a couple left now but they come and go. I see you are noted on that site for having helped out with some of the lids

?

I will have to dig mine out of the box in the loft and check if it's still got a date stamp visible!

I got mine in the mid/late 80's. It's not got the external visor fittings, (never has had), and I replaced the DPM cover with a home made one when my original issued one "died" and I couldn't get a replacement from the QM.

Lot more comfortable than the old "turtle back" and definately more user friendly when using a radio head-set or any type of bergan/man-pack frame.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

thanks for looking opex and for the nice comps ,you just cant beat the real deal been there look ,i have married helmets and covers before and they just look sterile ,i much prefer worn out salty one's they also scream there own provenance ,thanks james

many thanks andy ,i think there price dictates there lack of interest ,i picked this one up on a bin for £7 british sterling but if it was dearer it still would of been worth it ,many thanks if you can help with the chinstrap i think anything would do the saltier and worn out the better ,ill pm you mate cheers james

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast