Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

British Mk6 helmet

Article about: Hello! It has been quite a long time since I have last posted here, a few years actually now that I think of it. I do apologize for my extended absence, but the years have treated me kindly

....I might just do that....'trouble is, when some idiot writes a book, all the prices go up! :-)

Dumb question from me!- what's the go with the split ring on the chin strap yolk? one of mine has it too.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 10-10-2019 at 07:39 AM.

For hanging your helmet on your kit / webbing when not being worn. The Virtus has a purpose built strap attached nowadays just for this.

..often grenade rings or snap-clips....

Quote by Composite View Post
    For hanging your helmet on your kit / webbing when not being worn. The Virtus has a purpose built strap attached nowadays just for this.

..often grenade rings or snap-clips....
    Thanks Ade

If I understand what you're after, the split ring if it's on the normal fastening ring it would be used for fastening under the respirator, in NBC (Now CBRN) sometimes we'd use the old 44 pattern helmet strap instead.
    "Per Ardua"

Sorry mate...need a bit of clarification..... the ones I’ve seen/got have rings or other devices attached to the rear strap “ring” or to the upper side strap attachment. I’ve not seen a ring attached further down the strap........is that where the gas mask usage comes in?

I may have the wrong end of the stick here mate, but yes, we'd use an old grenade ring and attach it to the ring (arrowed) so you have an extension to fit your respirator, or gas mask as you put it

Personally I used the elastic strap as it was easier to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images British Mk6 helmet 
    "Per Ardua"

Ahh, gotcha. Cheers

Cool

Thought I would copy some of my British Composite Helmet History post, featuring my Mk6, in here too.

Dated 1988/89 & issued to me '2nd hand' in the mid-90s I think … & technically still my officially issued helmet; though I do also have a Mk6A on 'temporary' issue for Op HERRICK in 2010/11 … that's never been re-called.

Yes, that's a Mk6 still in service in 2019!!

Appropriately, given the posts above, along with the label details here, you can see my alternative chin strap 'extension' method for use with a respirator:
    Attachment 1346126

And here is likely the very same item in use during a training course back in early 1999:
    British Mk6 helmet
    Last edited by brickie501; 10-12-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Quote by brickie501 View Post
    Thought I would copy some of my British Composite Helmet History post, featuring my Mk6, in here too.

Dated 1988/89 & issued to me '2nd hand' in the mid-90s I think … & technically still my officially issued helmet; though I do also have a Mk6A on 'temporary' issue for Op HERRICK in 2010/11 … that's never been re-called.

Yes, that's a Mk6 still in service in 2019!!

Appropriately, given the posts above, along with the label details here, you can see my alternative chin strap 'extension' method for use with a respirator:
    Attachment 1346126

And here is the very same item in use during a training course back in early 1999:
    British Mk6 helmet
    That provokes a few memories for me.
    Is that a Westland Scout helicopter?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast