Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

Article about: Guys, First of all, thank you for deciding to read this thread....I was gonna throw in an "SS" or "FJ" into the Thread name but thought better of it.... I'm starting this

...THAT'S not tape.....THIS is tape! :-)

...no cover, just tape......

....not mine....I was simply the photographer......obviously.....

I have been watching various mk7's on ebay and noticed one ended yesterday for £118 whilst one seller has some as a buy it now for £50 whilst one came up today as buy it now for £35.

Seems prices are all over the place with £50 to 65ish being typical.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Agreed.....and there's Mk6s for £20-£30 and I got one recently for £7...and Mk6As for nearly £40........I don't understand it either

I guess the important thing is that we're happy with what we get / we've got

...tho I'm still seeing more 7s on Ebay than I am at Fairs.....lets see if W&P changes that.......

I got a mk6a from ebay as a buy it now for £12 plus p&p, described as a mk6.....

another seller listed mk7's at buy it now £45 inc free post.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

On the subject of Mk7s....I don't suppose anyone here has the sexed-up "LASA AC914"? This was Morgan's (previously NP) MTP-esque camo'd (printed) Mk7 shaped lid but with different harness etc?

I don't think they were ever UK issue but someone may have purchased one privately.........just askin'

...oh and they won't be a tenner on eBay :-)

..actually, whilst we're (?) talking about Variants, we can't have a Mk7 thread without the AC900, the 902 or the CTT. I'm keen to avoid making this a mini-CompoSite as they're all there to see in more detail (Composite Helmets, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets International Guide ) but these three are 7-shaped but the 900 was with us a long time before the 7 was whilst the 902 has liner and strap improvements. I should stress that the CTT below has a custom paint job...they were black too.

There's quite a few around nowadays and I suspect that many are Police-used rather than military. One difference, apart from the shell colour of course, seems to be the attachment method of the liner skull section.....some have the rubber darts which pierce the shell itself whilst others are held in place by velcro.....also some have labels with red text whilst others don't. I've always assumed that Velcro = non-military and red text = non-military...but I'd love it if we could crack those ones

So, your mission, should you care to accept it.....why do some have darts whilst others don't....and what's with the red text labels???

British Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to knowBritish Mk7 helmet - everything you need to know

...actually one of those pics looks a tad squashed....sorry about that.....

Well, I'm certain that the red text labels mean the product is aimed for the civilian (police etc) market, as there is usually some kind of safety warning included which would seem somewhat out of place on a military-issue helmet. As for the difference between the rubber rivet versus velcro, I am of the opinion (based on no evidence at all) that it is merely a design difference which has no significance otherwise. Actually in practical terms - ie swapping a new for old liner - the velcro option seems superior to the rubber rivet as it obviates the need for extra spare parts.

And may I mention here that if the Mk6/7 helmets are being surplussed, then we might reasonably believe the *spares*, including CN8415 99 130 6035 Rivet Mk6 (which we know as the rubber rivet) may be as well. Please keep on eye open, everyone. There are people, like me, who will pay money for these.

Saw this ex-RM (claimed) one online recently and was puzzled by what looked like a small black unit / socket (?) at the rear...

...so of course it had to be investigated.....and it turned out to be the buckle end of a long weapons-grade cable-tie...with the "belt" section reaching right around the front of the helmet. In fact, you can make it out clearly under the cover when you know it's there. A small area of the rear cover seam had been opened to hold this unusual addition.

I've not seen this before but there's always a job for a cable-tie I guess........handcuffs? (although this blighter could bind an elephant!)

One thing's for sure, it's deliberate. 'Any RMs out there who'd know?

Quote by Composite View Post
    Saw this ex-RM (claimed) one online recently and was puzzled by what looked like a small black unit / socket (?) at the rear..
    it turned out to be the buckle end of a long weapons-grade cable-tie...with the "belt" section reaching right around the front of the helmet. In fact, you can make it out clearly under the cover when you know it's there. A small area of the rear cover seam had been opened to hold this unusual addition.I've not seen this before but there's always a job for a cable-tie I guess........handcuffs? (although this blighter could bind an elephant!)

One thing's for sure, it's deliberate. 'Any RMs out there who'd know?
    Hi Ade, you are absolutely correct with the handcuff idea though a cable tie is ideal for 1001 other jobs.

Also, this is not at all peculiar to RM and is a long standing concept. In the '70s when cable ties were still on the "modern and trendy" side in NI we were in the habit of opening two stitches on the top edge of one flak jacket pocket just below the shoulder patch and inserting a large guage cable tie (aka Plasticuff) between the cover and liner. Very easy and quick to whip it out and one of those little touches that show distinction between "sprog" and "old sweat". It was something of a theatre requirement a bit like fastening the rifle to the right wrist with the forward end of the sling.

It is not unusual in any operation that has an element of Internal Security (IS) for these ties to be carried in one or other discrete manner according to local practice.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark

PS It is also very common to see troops carrying two cable ties looped together in a figure 8 or chain link fashion which are only pulled to the first couple of teeth in the ratchet ready to be placed over both wrists of a prisoner in double bracelet style and pulled tight. This is actually more effective as a handcuff than a single tie.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-30-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Many thanks Watchy...mystery solved! :-)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast