Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

British Parachute helmet

Article about: Morning everyone, I want to show you this helmet just arrived in my collection. For some time I was looking a British Para helmet complete by all original parts, in good condition, but howev

And a very nice been there example too Roberto ..i like it very much ,i find the anodised chinstrap retainers interesting as one seems turquoise which is found and inkeeping on your later example but also the earlier green clip is also present as far as i can tell unless i am mistaken i added an earlier example to the collectionBritish Parachute helmet

Good morning James,
    Thank you for your comment and for sharing your example and the beautiful display with which you have exposed it.
    Unfortunately my knowledge of English is not very good, so I hope you understand your question well: if for green clips, you're referring to the chinstrap retainer rivets, it looks green for the oxidation of the copper alloy with which it was produced; I tried to make a better photo with natural light from which you can better see this detail.
    British Parachute helmet
    I've always seen ballistic models with the front band in black leather, and the previous fiberglass models with the band in natural leather, but observing your example I understand that it was also used on the first ballistic model productions, thanks also for this information!

Regards
    Roberto

Thank you Roberto for the detailed picture of the termination i refer too and from my point of view must have been a trick of the light due to the oxidisation I always believed the tan brow pad indicated an early liner but as far as i now know there are other subtle differances too ,most noticeably the comfort laces stitched around the liner edge which were lacking on the first model types even thought the holes were present on the opaque plastic supportBritish Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmet

James...I'm having a problem re the laces stitched around the liner edge......where's this please....any chance of a pic sometime as I must be looking in the wrong places....??

Hi Ade ,It's probably hard to notice on the pics i show but the liner sock is tied down to the plastic support close to the edge via laces so can presume a slightly later improvement as the sock hangs down otherwise

Interesting fact James,
    and yet on this my early example of the fiber glass type, the rear laces are already present, but I noticed that they were fixed with a stapler, probably added later to enhance comfort?

Roberto

British Parachute helmetBritish Parachute helmet

Nice smooth shell example Roberto ,The second example i show is also a smooth shell and in the same configuration with the secondary lace system ,interesting staples were used and i will have to check mine in greater detail but sure mine are stitched to the liner brow and not stapled ,sounds quite uncomfortable having metal in contact with the forehead though ...If i recall mine has stapled in other areas around the outer liner circumferance and not in direct skin contact but will have to double check

Quote by James C View Post
    Nice smooth shell example Roberto ,The second example i show is also a smooth shell and in the same configuration with the secondary lace system ,interesting staples were used and i will have to check mine in greater detail but sure mine are stitched to the liner brow and not stapled ,sounds quite uncomfortable having metal in contact with the forehead though ...If i recall mine has stapled in other areas around the outer liner circumferance and not in direct skin contact but will have to double check
    Ok James,
    It will be interesting to know the result of this check.

Regards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3