Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

Article about: I recently revisited a list we created on Gregs old Yahoo forum...this was a list of all the things which are / can be attached to the modern combat helmet ranging from patches to cameras. I

Mockingbird set-up procedures....in summary, flip the battery (it puts it in set-up mode), flash an IR "message" to it from another light source (3 long, 2 short etc), flip the battery back, check it's working...unscrew it so it's not "flashing" all the time...and when you need it tighten it up and let it flash (IR) away......and then if it don't flash, it's ol' Terry.....

Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons" Helmet attachments / "bolt-ons"

I have seen something similar Ade which kind of matches your description South African Army "BADLANDS" Camouflage Paratrooper Helmet Cover | #430890591
    Regards James

Not clued up on those helmet beacons at all but am i right in saying as it is a Beacon would it be only used overtly as a marker when in distress
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    Not clued up on those helmet beacons at all but am i right in saying as it is a Beacon would it be only used overtly as a marker when in distress
    Not necessarily - in fact, when in distress, you might well go to using 'white' light rather than Infra Red...

Even in places like Afghanistan you wouldn't use it all the time, because IR technology is no longer the exclusive preserve of national militaries, but for things like marking position of 'friendlies' to air support etc.

Quote by brickie501 View Post
    for things like marking position of 'friendlies' to air support etc.
    Which is absolutely crucial in modern fast moving operations with such potent close air and arty support when the lines between friendly and En units are so obscure.
    Remember the tragic blue on blue incident in 2003 during the first Gulf War involving two A10s of 190th Fighter Squadron USAF and D Sqn The Household Cavalry (Blues and Royals). I doubt beacons would have prevented that in the circumstances but the point is that an agreed visual indicator that is very difficult to miss is critical.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Regardless of what visual indicators are used, 'blue on blue' incidents will always occasionally happen. In the heat of the moment, and when aircraft are diving in for the 'kill', even the most unmissable indicators can - and do get missed. Human error can never really be fully removed from the equation.

Cheers,
    Steve

I've posted a similar pic before but thought it might be relevant to add this one here to show UK 'regulation' (at least according to 16 Air Assault Brigade on HERRICK 13) positioning of Glint Tape on Mk6A / 7. Note two types of tape for differing parts of the electromagnetic spectrum:

Those are kind of difficult to see in this other photo, but you can make out the googles & a US helmet band (with cats' eyes) that have been attached There's also a clip to attach helmet to Osprey body armour but its hidden away at the back - Osprey section can be seen though.

By the way, alternatives / extensions to harness (for better fit when wearing CBRN gear etc) were missed off the initial list

'been a while....

I was talking to some Brit squaddies at the weekend about this one..... A while ago a lot of bolt-ons were effectively private purchase items to make the wearer feel "cool"...errrr....sorry....to add functionality. Markers like the Mockingbird and "beacons" were/are Issue. I'm told this is the latest "beacon" issued by the Brit army - it can tell folk where you are (if that's what you want), shows folk where you are (ditto). The preceding model (I've not yet seen one) was similar in size/design to the V-lite and ran up the back of the helmet with almost a Landing light appearance.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7