Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Indonesian M80 Helmet

Article about: I got this from my friend who also a collector and journalist. The soldier put it backward? No rear nape. Field modification? Soldier number and name. "Agus" with number 526250. My

Cool

Quote by feldgrau33 View Post

Attachment 818330
    I also found a photograph example of the double strap M80 used by the TNI especially for the military school cadet. And its interesting, the helmet used in there is single strap. I guess the other strap is discarded as well?
    maybe they tucked the Y strap inside when not needed? lots of soldiers with a paratrooper liner tucked the extra Y strap inside when not used, it could still be inside.

OK, got myself sufficiently organised to photograph my very recently acquired example of this odd double-strapped helmet. It has a factory-finish camouflage paintjob which is essentially the same as that on two known South Korean-made helmets illustrated on CompoSite (Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets KOREA, SOUTH KOREAN HELMET helmet, Kevlar helmet ). Therefore we could guess that it is a SK product, probably supplied to Indonesia (circumstantial evidence!). As to *why* it has this double-strap arrangement I do not know - possible paratroop use? any ideas Feldgrau?. And as I indicated in my previous posting the A-straps with buckles at each side are very similar to those on another helmet I have which is also illustrated at the above link.

Indonesian M80 Helmet Indonesian M80 Helmet Indonesian M80 Helmet

As you can see the liner has slide-on clips similar to those on many SK export helmets, and copies made in Iraq.

The only marking I can find is a moulding mark in the crown, which might read 'P1S' or '21d' or almost anything really. Very hard to decipher (might be Hangul, of course).

And now a completely useless pic of the only marking....sorry! It's actually more visible in the pic above, really. But no more easily decipherable.

Indonesian M80 Helmet

Quote by James C View Post
    i bet you are very tempted to buy this one feldgrau ,it looks very similar with the additional A yokes to the american m1c para ,thanks for showing and explaining those mystery rivits
    regards, james
    Of course sir, it's somewhat rare finding a complete helmet like this.
    Your welcome.

Quote by battle gear View Post
    maybe they tucked the Y strap inside when not needed? lots of soldiers with a paratrooper liner tucked the extra Y strap inside when not used, it could still be inside.
    Ah that's a real possibility. Thank you

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    That's amazing! By extraordinary coincidence I recently got one of those 'M80' (this cannot be the right designation) with the double set of chinstraps like Feldgrau has just shown us; I got it just four days ago at the Brecon militaria fair. The only significant difference is that it has a factory-finish camouflage paintwork, otherise it is identical. It was being sold as 'Iraqi Gulf War' but of course *we* know different, don't we. I'll send up some pictures as soon as I have the time (things are a bit out of control here at the moment!)

At the very least I now feel confident that my initial belief it might be Indonesian is correct. Anyway, some pics will follow RSN (I hope). For the time being, compare and contrast with the object titled SOUTH KOREAN EXPORT HELMET ? on this page Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets KOREA, SOUTH KOREAN HELMET helmet, Kevlar helmet and the one titled INDONESIAN ? Sold as Indonesian... on this page Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets INDONESIA, INDONESIAN helmet, Kevlar helmet composite helmets index

Good stuff Feldgrau!
    OK, got myself sufficiently organised to photograph my very recently acquired example of this odd double-strapped helmet. It has a factory-finish camouflage paintjob which is essentially the same as that on two known South Korean-made helmets illustrated on CompoSite (Composite Helmet, Ballistic helmets, Military helmets KOREA, SOUTH KOREAN HELMET helmet, Kevlar helmet ). Therefore we could guess that it is a SK product, probably supplied to Indonesia (circumstantial evidence!). As to *why* it has this double-strap arrangement I do not know - possible paratroop use? any ideas Feldgrau?. And as I indicated in my previous posting the A-straps with buckles at each side are very similar to those on another helmet I have which is also illustrated at the above link.

As you can see the liner has slide-on clips similar to those on many SK export helmets, and copies made in Iraq.

The only marking I can find is a moulding mark in the crown, which might read 'P1S' or '21d' or almost anything really. Very hard to decipher (might be Hangul, of course).

And now a completely useless pic of the only marking....sorry! It's actually more visible in the pic above, really. But no more easily decipherable.

Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Wow i never thought South Korea is indeed exporting that kind of helmet. I thought it's modified by Indonesia
    About that helmet, i think after got in here, it'll be repainted with single color. As far as i know, TNI never paint any camo paint directly to the helmet.
    And about the para, after scouring the internet, it's rare to see a para wearing that double strap helmet (At present, majority wearing kevlar helmet). The only photo is this one.
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    But as you can see, i think the liner is already been refurbished.

And the earlier photo or this one
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    It's from the infantry brigade school

Anyway great helmet sir!

Here are a couple of rather better pics - one way up then the other - of the moulding in the crown of the helmet discussed above. I still have no real clue as to what they mean. Information please! (NB this is the first time I have found *any* sort of code in any of these helmets.)

Indonesian M80 HelmetIndonesian M80 Helmet

Lightbulb

Interesting. Maybe it's korean alphabet or hangul? After searching the internet and look some example of it, it's similar in some instance with hangul. So i reconstruct those marking for hangul.
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    Maybe those marking is this alphabet?
    I don't know if this correct nor understood it's meaning. We need someone who can speak korean in here.

Yeah, well, I did wonder if they were Hangul, but having had a look at an alphabet I'm not sure. Referring to your reconstruction, Feldgrau, it would seem that the second and third letters have some similarity to Hangul characters, but I can see nothing that is similar to the first, either in your contructed form or as it appears in the actual moulding. To be honest I would *expect* it might be Hangul. But I can't see it, myself.

Now, everyone ought to examine the crowns of all their 'M80' verison and report on what they find. One never knows, do one. Still, interesting helmet!

Great Thread Gents
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, I did wonder if they were Hangul, but having had a look at an alphabet I'm not sure. Referring to your reconstruction, Feldgrau, it would seem that the second and third letters have some similarity to Hangul characters, but I can see nothing that is similar to the first, either in your contructed form or as it appears in the actual moulding. To be honest I would *expect* it might be Hangul. But I can't see it, myself.

Now, everyone ought to examine the crowns of all their 'M80' verison and report on what they find. One never knows, do one. Still, interesting helmet!
    I see.
    Well sir, after you say that, i check my M80 and guess what...
    Indonesian M80 Helmet
    The similar marking with the marking from your helmet! It's kind like inverted "19". But without the third letter. I guess the third letter is for the double strap variant?
    Maybe your's is "S 19"?
    Anyway pardon the low quality of the photo, i use my old cellphone camera
    The marking is from the camo helmet but no marking on the green helmet one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4