Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Iraqi m80

Article about: I saw James posting his Iraqi helmets and decided to pitch in mine! I got this one last year, and while at first glance it may seem the typical Korean export m80, it really does turn out to

Default Iraqi m80

I saw James posting his Iraqi helmets and decided to pitch in mine! I got this one last year, and while at first glance it may seem the typical Korean export m80, it really does turn out to have a lot of personality!

It shows obvious signs of heavy use. The metal hardware is rusted, the webbing appears to be blood-stained, and only half of the right chinstrap remains. The leather sweatband is fragile and cracked, probably due to the hot climate it was used in. I'm not sure what the red and green smudges are.

I hope you guys like it!
    John

(I took these photos last year, everything's covered with snow now!)

Iraqi m80 Iraqi m80 Iraqi m80 Iraqi m80 Iraqi m80 Iraqi m80

?

Hi John,very nice example which does indeed have some very interesting features which clearly show's the conditions it was put through.

Does your example have any Arabic script e.g. a Triangle denoting the Iraqi Army property mark ?, they generally appear with this marking ,name , rank and unit number the Jundi (soldier) was attached too. Though judging by the fading and general wear on the suspension it might be difficult to decipher any script.

In conclusion I think you have a fine example of one of my favourite composite Helmets, many thanks for showing here

Hello Opex! Unfortunately, there are no signs of the Iraqi Army property marks or script, though I wish it were so. You are right, if there ever were such markings, they have since faded away. While doing a thorough search, I took notice of some beautiful patina on the metal hardware.

I love your collection Iranian helmets by the way, I've used them as reference on multiple occasions!

Iraqi m80 Iraqi m80

?

Quote by Perspectivist View Post
    Hello Opex! Unfortunately, there are no signs of the Iraqi Army property marks or script, though I wish it were so. You are right, if there ever were such markings, they have since faded away. While doing a thorough search, I took notice of some beautiful patina on the metal hardware.

I love your collection Iranian helmets by the way, I've used them as reference on multiple occasions!

Iraqi m80 Iraqi m80

Hi John, no worries and as I suspected the markings would be long gone due to the fading and weathering of the suspension, but I completely agree the patina and verdigris on the metal fixings is an interesting feature.

And thank you very much John for the compliment regarding my previous post of my own Iraqi composites, it is great to hear that this has been useful for your own research and reference.

Kind regards

very nice example indeed john i only have the desert tan overpainted m80's so its nice to see the green version the two tone liner band is interesting and makes me wonder why ,are the brown stains to the webbing an oil of some sort ? regards james