Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Iraqi m80 Helmet

Article about: Hi Guys I picked up this guy. The US and Coalition forces have "been in" Iraq it feels my whole life. Always on the news. Books. Film. Ive had some friends (no one brought much of

Default Iraqi m80 Helmet

Hi Guys
    I picked up this guy. The US and Coalition forces have "been in" Iraq it feels my whole life. Always on the news. Books. Film. Ive had some friends (no one brought much of anything home...one brought an insurgent flag or two) who served there and in Afghanistan in the 2000s and I just thought this was a cool representative piece to have. Pretty cheap too. I don't know much about these. They Had a long service life. Made in South Korea. Originally Green ...many were then painted tan for the desert use. These type were used in Iran/Iraq war in the 80s... as well as Desert Storm and I'm sure a few stragglers were still using these during OIF. It has what I assume is the Iraqi Army Property stamp on it. And that's it for my knowledge on these. I dig it alot! Thanks for looking!
    Z

PS has what seems to be Arabic writing on the headband but it is really faded

Iraqi m80 Helmet
    Iraqi m80 Helmet
    Iraqi m80 Helmet
    Iraqi m80 Helmet
    Iraqi m80 Helmet
    Iraqi m80 Helmet
    Iraqi m80 Helmet
    Iraqi m80 Helmet

Looks like it's got an Iraqi refurb chinstrap, the South Korean produced lids had M1 style chinstraps and fasteners. I've seen these with Ssh 40 chinstraps, i suppose the Iraqi's used whatever was at hand.

Yes. I have seen other examples w this "cloth"? type weave strap. Seems to match colorwise to the webbing. I guess a coincidence. The fasterners are not there so cant see what type of hook and clasp system this one had. A shame the strap is busted but all in all ... in a bit better condition than some I have seen
    Z

Very nice example and like the single chinstrap webbing field repair ,it looks with my eyes like there might of been a circular marking on the wearers left hand side perhaps or is it just down to the secondary coating over paint ,i used a mild graffiti remover on one i picked up which i was certain had such a marking and revealed this remnant Inventory stock Number type mark which was also seen on weapons also used by the Iraqi'sIraqi m80 HelmetIraqi m80 Helmet
    Regards James

Very cool Mate. Ill prob leave untouched but I like it! Are you sure thats not a Unit marking of some kind?
    Z

Thanks Paddy it could well be a unit mark for companies or platoons perhaps but from what i have been told this style of marking is known as a rack number used to keep track of equipment ,you sometimes see it on field gear like Respirator bags and Weapons like the Ak47's used by the Iraqi Army Iraqi m80 HelmetIraqi m80 Helmet
    Regards James

Yes....sizewise it defintely seems to be the same. Good references

Agreed...that’s a very interesting snippet James......how good was your source on this one please?

No Problem Paddy and agree with you on leaving yours untouched ,most likely if there was a Marking which of course there might not be as not all Iraqi helmets were unit marked, digging around for something that isn't there in the first place would ruin it forever. With my example, i was pretty confident there was some sort of marking hidden under the tan over paint as i could see a definite raised remnant circle so took a gamble but it could have gone horribly wrong big time but thought it was worth the risk ,took hours of patience gently using the remover with a cotton bud so was glad of the end result ,Cheers Ade and am confident the source is sound as the information came from a collector friend from the US who has dedicated his collecting interests purely to Iraqi Militaria from the Saddam era and post 2003
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    Thanks Paddy it could well be a unit mark for companies or platoons perhaps but from what i have been told this style of marking is known as a rack number used to keep track of equipment ,you sometimes see it on field gear like Respirator bags and Weapons like the Ak47's used by the Iraqi Army
    I am not 100% sure about helmets but that is definately correct as far as small arms go. The white disc would have had an Arabic numberal painted in black and equates to what the British call a "butt number", no sniggering in the colonies please (rifle butt) or what in other countries is sometimes called a "stock number" (again as in rifle stock). I have a couple somewhere that are 1st Gulf War bringbacks.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast