MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

iraqi m90

Article about: here's another battlefield relic from my collection ,no rubber trim present but as it shows no signs of delamination im wondering if this was something added at a later stage to combat this

Default iraqi m90

here's another battlefield relic from my collection ,no rubber trim present but as it shows no signs of delamination im wondering if this was something added at a later stage to combat this ,perhaps they were issued with or without ,also on display is a salty iraqi gasmask of west german origin (dräger m65z iraqi m90iraqi m90iraqi m90iraqi m90iraqi m90iraqi m90iraqi m90iraqi m90iraqi m90iraqi m90

ive since learned this gasmask and bag could well be a hungarian m74 in origin ,which was a copy of the west german gassie

?

Nice example of the M-90 James , again pity the suspension and chinstraps are missing, however this shows clearly that is another classic "bring-back" .

AFAIK these models were issued with the rubber trim to stop the edges of the shell from chipping and cracking, which raises the question if the Iraq armed forces knew they were likely to crack ,why were they used in the first place, I suppose the only logical answer would be the embargo placed upon on Iraq so they therefore had to use what materials were to hand.

I have read previously these models were designed around the US M1 shell , and a mould was taken directly from the aforesaid shell , thus was created the M-90.

I am no expert on Gas masks, but the combination looks very effective to me

hi gary ,many thanks for your compliments and info shared too i wasnt aware of the us moulds so ive learned something my other more complete m90 looks like the riddel liner has been shredded in places ,i did wonder if i could procure a replacement edge or maybe use cut tubing of some sort as a bit of a resto ,thats if one was ever fitted ,im sure ive also seen green edging fitted on these tan moulded m90's thanks james

?

Quote by James C View Post
    hi gary ,many thanks for your compliments and info shared too i wasnt aware of the us moulds so ive learned something my other more complete m90 looks like the riddel liner has been shredded in places ,i did wonder if i could procure a replacement edge or maybe use cut tubing of some sort as a bit of a resto ,thats if one was ever fitted ,im sure ive also seen green edging fitted on these tan moulded m90's thanks james
    Hi James , you are more than welcome buddy. I did consider putting some car door trim on the edge of one of my M-90's, but decided to leave as is. An interesting feature of these M-90 Iraqi models is the fact they mostly appear to be trashed, whereas the M-80's generally appear ( well as least the one's I own) to be in good condition considering what the Helmets have been through.

I suppose the far superior quality of the M-80 means that they would and appear to have withstood usage over the poor quality of the M-90. And at least with the M-80 at a push one could replace the suspension with the US M-73 type, whereas replacing the suspension in the M-90 could be a potential issue, as it would require new rivets and the suspension etc..nightmare!

I suppose using the car door trim could be the way forward, and in fact I have seen some on eBay available in Green, over the standard black stuff!

As always it's a pleasure to view your Helmets, and to converse with you