Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

NVG brackets / straps - show yours

Article about: These things fit on all our Compo’s....but do we know enough about them? Do they have designations? What are they? Which country used / uses them? Which Helmet do they fit? What equipment fi

Default NVG brackets / straps - show yours

These things fit on all our Compo’s....but do we know enough about them?

Do they have designations?
    What are they?
    Which country used / uses them?
    Which Helmet do they fit?
    What equipment fits onto them?
    How do you fit them?
    How DO the straps fit?

......so post yours....and help us fill in the gaps...this will be THE go-to thread on NVG brackets.....until someone who couldn’t be bothered to search first starts their own thread with badly taken pics, a cat, table cloth, plants etc etc 🙂

OK, let's start with "A" for Australia. Here's two...one on the PASGT and a later model on the 303. Apart from the helmets they fit, I know nothing else about them but am trying to learn more.....

NVG brackets / straps - show yoursNVG brackets / straps - show yoursNVG brackets / straps - show yours

....and on the 303

NVG brackets / straps - show yoursNVG brackets / straps - show yoursNVG brackets / straps - show yours

I can't recall seeing these on other country's helmets....so perhaps they're Aussie-specific????

I'm pretty sure this one's unique to the British army....whilst it's very similar to the US-made model the extended base and the bar across the bottom set it apart. In addition, the two spacer arms to the rear upper front plate and the split fork rear catch fit the Mk7 helmet perfectly.

NVG brackets / straps - show yoursNVG brackets / straps - show yours

...and as the 7 drifts out of use and onto the market one can only assume that these things, which were once highly prized, are gonna be ten-a-penny!

But I still don't know if this has a designation...or what vision kit it fits

Australian made helmet. NSW 2006. with night vision strap front night vision mount and counter weights at back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NVG brackets / straps - show yours   NVG brackets / straps - show yours  

NVG brackets / straps - show yours   NVG brackets / straps - show yours  

...and so to the LUCIE mount (I expect it stands for something). I know these were used by Brits and our German friends.....and I'm told there's a "long-legged" version too......but who else used them? ....who is LUCIE....and how long are her legs?

NVG brackets / straps - show yoursNVG brackets / straps - show yoursNVG brackets / straps - show yoursNVG brackets / straps - show yours

..and there's also a rubber-strapped version which I'm told the Germans use.....or is it for pilots?????

...perhaps the above version is short-legged LUCIE....and the first one is her taller sister????? help me with the gaps guys.......

British Army (and others??) again........I was told these were meant to be used by air crew or boat crew...as the helmet isn't typical plane kit and it's a "special" helmet (not Mk7) I can only assume the latter.....until / unless I'm told otherwise.

Again, I don't know the designation...or the kit which hung off it...but unlike the others this one's more permanent and presumably more rigid as a result

...and so to France.....the bracket that fits on the FELIN helmet looks like it's a molded feature...part of the helmet itself....but it ain't. The bracket is plastic (PLASTIC!!!) and attached to the rear hook by a wide elastic (ELASTIC!!!) strap which is hidden under the cover which creates the impression everything's one piece. The helmet rim has two depressions at the front for the bracket "legs" to hook into ensuring there's no/limited sideways movement. It doesn't look as if it'd suffer a lot of blows.....I'd like to be able to say "cheap rubbish".....but it's a FELIN.....

...sorry about the helmet pic...looks like "MACRO" setting's gone a bit wonky.....

this is a night vision holder set for when you are not wearing your helmet. has the two check support pads each side
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NVG brackets / straps - show yours   NVG brackets / straps - show yours  

Now this US one has to be the most common bracket seen....although perhaps not this particular version...it's "brother" with the hook plate which is usually found extending
    below the mounting plate.....

This particular model is screwed to the shell (one screw) and is therefore movement-free.....altho, as they've found, not ROTATIONAL-free as it pivets around the screw. It's brothers "legs" are removable.

What's it called? who else uses it? is the strapped-version now obsolete?

...and then "Shrouds" came along...this one's from Ops Core. Helmets started coming pre-drilled too (this lid seems to have been drilled for both one-screw and three-screw types???...I've not dismantled it to check)....... Obviously US-used...but presumably a whole host of others too???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast