Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

NVG Bungees

Article about: What do we know about these? I know they attach to side rails (usually) and then clip onto the expensive stuff (when installed) to act as a safety net I presume in case the kit falls out of

Default NVG Bungees

What do we know about these?

I know they attach to side rails (usually) and then clip onto the expensive stuff (when installed) to act as a safety net I presume in case the kit falls out of the mount ......or are they there to add stability when the kit's in use?

One thing I've been thinking about (and yes, I ought to get out more) is if this relatively robust bit of kit which is mounted just above your eyes works lose from the mount BUT is attached to two strong rubber bands attached to either side of ones eyes where is the falling item going to be pulled back to?

Do we have any experience in the Forum on this?

Default Dummy Cords/Tie Downs

Greetings,

Due to the individual unit's cost and the sensitive nature of NODs (specifically, the drama that ensues with their loss for a unit and its personnel) and most communication devices, it is a normal addition to add a "Dummy Cord" or simply a tie down to doubly ensure an item does not go unknowingly missing. Locking clips break or become worn/loose with regular use and a tie down (anything from the aforementioned bungees or gutted 550 cord) adds an additional factor of safety in order to prevent their unnecessary loss. When the NODs or other communication device (i.e. hand held radio) is lost, the first question will usually be is "was it dummy corded/tied down?" If the answer is no, then there will be questions about the organization's ability to supervise its Soldiers and maintain its issued equipment by following the unit's SOPs/guidelines. Not everything has to be tied down, but usually, weapons' optics, laser designators/pointers are tied/wired down to the firearms they are mounted on, while NODs and other COMMO gear is similarly tied down in order to prevent inadvertent loss.

I would much rather get beaned in the face by my NODs being knocked off but tied down, than losing them outright and having to deal with the ensuing accountability drama, which will shortly ensue if they fell off and I was unawares. Leaders typically inspect their Soldiers to ensure they are properly wearing their equipment. Lost sensitive items (i.e. weapons, NODs, COMMO Gear, etc.) gets the chain of command's involvement/attention very quickly, and it is better to be safe than sorry for the subordinates involved. The humble "dummy cord" has saved more military careers, than it has hurt I hope my explanation has made sense.

Best,

V/r Lance

Perfectly explained - thank you.