Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam civillian made reed sun helmet

Article about: Ive found a few of these at thrift stores over the years and also saw one at a Vietnam war museum that was used by a VC Tax Collector , the B&W photo shows a POW from the Battle of Dien

Default Vietnam civillian made reed sun helmet

Ive found a few of these at thrift stores over the years and also saw one at a Vietnam war museum that was used by a VC Tax Collector , the B&W photo shows a POW from the Battle of Dien Bien Phu with one of these locally made sun helmets.

Ive also seen VN wartime photos of the North Vietnamese wearing this same type of sun helmet while recovering pieces from downed US aircraft.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam civillian made reed sun helmet   Vietnam civillian made reed sun helmet  

Vietnam civillian made reed sun helmet   Vietnam civillian made reed sun helmet  

Vietnam civillian made reed sun helmet  

These just like the NVA green pith helmets are still everywhere in Vietnam today. When I was there in 2012 these were being sold in shops with other supposed original NVA stuff for 100000 VND which equals about $4.60 usd. Interesting hats but almost impossible to authenticate.
    MOrris

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    These just like the NVA green pith helmets are still everywhere in Vietnam today. When I was there in 2012 these were being sold in shops with other supposed original NVA stuff for 100000 VND which equals about $4.60 usd. Interesting hats but almost impossible to authenticate.
    MOrris
    it's a civillian sun hat mostly used by Vietnamese fishermen, it's something more common with civillians or VC

they probably still use them today by farmers & fishermen

?

Nice addition BG and will look quite sharp on display and or used as a prop or back drop for photography.
    I would be happy to have it and display it in my own collection.

Regards Mark