Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

WARNING!!! Ebay Iraqi M80 listing with borrowed/stolen?? photos!!!!!!!WARNING

Article about: Hi all Whilst merrily browsing the Helmets in the militaria section of ebay this afternoon...imagine my surprise!! ...to come across my very own M80 listed for sale!!!!(see pics..and the ori

?

he appologised said his son put photos up and that he has autism.

perhaps a tad cynical...but all this happened on the night of the currently running "The A word" TV series which focuses on autism....'could just be a coincidence......perhaps we should wait till there's a programme about leprosy next and see what happens...and YES I do know about Autism and YES it's in my family too and NO I wasn't getting at folk with Autism I was questioning his "excuse"....errr....explanation......

either way....RESULT....does that mean I don't get the green one now with the grey carpet? :-)...I liked that carpet.....but hey, wait a minute...is that dog Tea Towel?.....I've ALWAYS wanted one of those.....errr.....wait a minute...that's my mum's Tea Towel!!!!!!

I am not ashamed to admit that I myself have Asperger's, and yet have never felt compelled to do something like this. Of course, every case of autism is different, and the severity and behaviour varies from person to person. There's a reason it's on a spectrum. Assuming it's true, and not an excuse he's made up now that he's been caught out, perhaps he should have been more careful about his son having access to his eBay account? More to do with parenting, perhaps, than the behaviour of the child.

B.B.

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    I could fully understand if the item was £500 but £28 what's the point.!really.............The seller must of had a couple of brain cells drop out overnight.............
    What if he has 30 items posted else where using the same scam idea ? Housewares, electronics, artwork, etc.etc ?

Quote by BRIOLF View Post
    he apologised said his son put photos up and that he has autism.
    I got the same message this morning. The problem is that his 'son' still has the listing on eBay, although I have already pointed out that the helmet in the pictures can't be sold, because it isn't his to sell.

As of this morning he had posted up pics of the real helmet he had!!(see pics) .... but this evening it comes up as "Seller has ended the item as it is no longer available" ... call me a cynic but...ive always taken this message to actually mean....... Seller contacted Buyer......and has dealt outside of ebay!!! NAUGHTY NAUGHTY!!!!
    Either that or the peaked "interest" he's had for his "borrowed" pics...beforehand.... has persuaded him to end the listing early...

If the former...I fully expect to see its distinctive bayonet /knife "notched" rim... with a nice fresh Republican Guard paint job...and Nice price tag to boot!!!!.....back on ebay...before Christmas!!!....KEEP EM PEELED!!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WARNING!!! Ebay Iraqi M80 listing with borrowed/stolen??  photos!!!!!!!WARNING   WARNING!!! Ebay Iraqi M80 listing with borrowed/stolen??  photos!!!!!!!WARNING  

WARNING!!! Ebay Iraqi M80 listing with borrowed/stolen??  photos!!!!!!!WARNING  

I got a message from the seller's mother. Apparently she didn't like my attitude, and I have terrified her son with my message. I wasn't rude... I merely pointed out that her son cannot use someone else's photographs without their permission, to do so is in breach of copyright. I mentioned a few other things too, and none of it went down well with her. Again she mentioned her son's Asperger's, and the fact that he was trying to do something on his own. I know people with Asperger's... friends of the family, and none of them break the law. You should never use a condition or illness as an excuse for such behaviour. She promised to remove the item if she could work out how to do it.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I got a message from the seller's mother. Apparently she didn't like my attitude, and I have terrified her son with my message. I wasn't rude... I merely pointed out that her son cannot use someone else's photographs without their permission, to do so is in breach of copyright. I mentioned a few other things too, and none of it went down well with her. Again she mentioned her son's Asperger's, and the fact that he was trying to do something on his own. I know people with Asperger's... friends of the family, and none of them break the law. You should never use a condition or illness as an excuse for such behaviour. She promised to remove the item if she could work out how to do it.
    One of my pet hates is people who do just that. People with Asperger's aren't sociopaths. We know right from wrong, just like everyone else. Those who use mental conditions as an excuse for bad behaviour are the lowest of the low. Of course, she may very well be telling the truth. But given my past experiences with certain eBay sellers, you'll have to call me cynical.

B.B.

This sort of thing - lifting images from websites for use on Ebay - started Way Back When, well over fifteen years ago when Ebay itself was young, and a lot of people weren't that familiar with the internet anyway. Back around 2000 there were very few helmet-related websites and even less militaria forums, but even so I noted suspiciously familiar images on some of the Ebay listings. I think people genuinely did not realise that anyone sufficiently interested in (say) helmets to put pictures on a webpage would also be interested enough to look at Ebay listings. People - especially those trying to get away with something - can be astoundingly shortsighted.

I know of maybe ten-twelve instances where images were taken from my own webpages; mostly by users in the USA but also a couple in such as Austria, and also the British Isles. Long and increasingly hostile email correspondence usually ensued; the first defence was the typical criminal-minded thing of "I can do what I like because you can't stop me". Because I was pretty web-savvy by that time, and often users were easily identifiable back then - a variety of ploys such as contacting family members or employees or even the local police department for the US ones usually brought some satisfaction, to me at least.

One of the things that used to really annoy me - as well as the theft of my own images, of course - was the defence of "But my helmet is the same type as yours"... Yes, that's as maybe, but *mine* is not the helmet you are selling so there's some small deception going on here isn't there. I swear to you, some people had not actually realised there was an issue with that - never underestimate the level of naivete and foolishness in "Get Away With It" type of people. Another favourite was "You shouldn't have put the picture on the web if you didn't want people to use it". Hmmm.

Strangely, in this Modern Day with so many more images available there seem to be a lot less of it going on. I feel that Austro was simply unlucky.

By the way I have done well over 3000 Ebay transactions as buyer and occasional seller, and only a very small number - less than ten, I think - went wrong, and even they were mostly some long time back now, in pre-Paypal days. Some were resolved by sheer deviousness (in one instance knowing where the rough part of a certain city was and mentioning that I could get my mates from there to come around and collect the money if postage seemed too difficult to achieve) but otherwise quite seamlessly and excellently by Ebay and Paypal. I know a lot of people have a lot of complaints about Ebay and discuss it in disparaging terms - I suggest they try to recall the bleak days Before Ebay and Paypal when everything was...frankly, crap.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4