Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What is it?

Article about: I have a question. What is Corlon? No, seriously, what is Corlon? In our context - helmetty stuff - it is a word often applied to the South Korean 'ballistic plastic' helmets used all around

Do you want to know "what it is".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is it?  

Actually, it does occur to me that we're still taking on trust the assertion (which we do not know the origin of) that the SKorean helmets are actually made of Corlon. OK, that idea may be reinforced by the fact that this Technolog outfit in Germany actually did make Corlon helmets (which do look suspiciously the same - did Technolog sell out to the Koreans?) but there's still no definate proof. Or is there? What will you find next, GH?

Would explain the 'c' in the C1 designation of my South Korean made Singaporean helmet...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is it?  

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Would explain the 'c' in the C1 designation of my South Korean made Singaporean helmet...
    Well, I wouldn't put any money on it, myself. Both Joseba and WWH cite the material of the Singaporean C1 as being "Fibra de Kevlar" (Joseba) and "duramac et fibres de kevlar" (WWH) So probably some kevlar in it somewhere. Maybe. And no mention of Corlon. But hold up, hang on, what's this 'Duramac' stuff then eh. Oh crikey, this could go on for ever.

It really ought to be easy to establish what all these things are made of. But it isn't. Oh for the good old days of simple steel...

This much is known its either a meta-Aramid or para-Aramid,its along that Aramid fibre line somewhere,but its just finding it,many companies trading under many names in differant countries used these Aramids in form or another,maybe it was listed under a differant title back then?Twaron was introduced in 1978(correct time frame for M78)and was a very similar fibre to Kevlar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2