Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

unknown for me

Article about: Hi Maris, The drum you have found is 'Feldkabel'. It would have consisted of two cables of copper cored, galvanized steel armoured cable that was rubber coated. Each cable was 400m long, the

Default Re: unknown for me

Hi Maris,

The drum you have found is 'Feldkabel'. It would have consisted of two cables of copper cored, galvanized steel armoured cable that was rubber coated. Each cable was 400m long, the whole drum would have weighed 45kg when full.

The cables were low loop resistance communications wires with a voice range of up to 50kms. The drums were of different sizes and slightly different design depending on what sort of cables (Comms or power) were wound on them. The two separate cable 'runners' in the centre of the spool show that yours is for telephone cable.

Some, like yours, would have been mounted on trolleys,vehicles, sleds or even pulled by hand on the tyres that are on the drum.Smaller drums were even mounted as backpacks. I've included a few pic's to show the different types of drums and how they were used.

Hope this answers your question, at least in part!

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unknown for me   unknown for me  

unknown for me   unknown for me  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Reg
    ?

You guys amaze me, from some odment or crusty part you can ID it, tell us about its use and produce countless photos of it in use. Nice one gents!

Hi... This weekend at the Tankfest (UK) I saw a slightly different version, it is the large size but is unfortunately missing it's tires from around the rim.
    LUCKYSTRIKE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unknown for me   unknown for me  

[QUOTE=Reg;63868]You guys amaze me, from some odment or crusty part you can ID it, tell us about its use and produce countless photos of it in use.

Just what i was thinking!. Good job gents

Once again Lucky, great photo's!!

The two larger drums are for power cables. Note that the lighter one thats on end has a cylindrical device fitted on the top end. This contained what is these days called a 'hook-up', you can find it on all modern caravans or industrial power tool transformers.

Here's a pic of one in use in 1941, notice the design appears not to have changed very much, if at all in 70 years.

Regards, Ned.

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I believe the German artist of the sketch book pictures that I have been posting also sketched one of these being used.

Best Regards,
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unknown for me  

?

I found a picture of a miniature SdKfz 250/2 Cable layer, with one attached to the back, it's not the same but it looks a lot like it.
    Where did you find it, i recon at the East-front theatre!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2