Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1941 Airfield and visit, ID help needed with some bits

Article about: probably need to somehow catogorise these pics as Ive taken far too many, First time I have actually been to this part of this ww2 airfield as I have full permission now to go anywhere. Dont

Default 1941 Airfield and visit, ID help needed with some bits

probably need to somehow catogorise these pics as Ive taken far too many, First time I have actually been to this part of this ww2 airfield as I have full permission now to go anywhere. Dont suppose anyone would know what those rubbery "socks" are I Found? they have metallic thin circular plate at the front. And the blue hose reel is a water or fuel pipe? also the ammo crates, post war but is the hispano 20mm ww2 era? I love the wooden "launcher" one but no idea what it stored, same with all the other boxes. and the red and silver "W 8" sign is a runway marker?

cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1941 Airfield and visit, ID help needed with some bits   1941 Airfield and visit, ID help needed with some bits  

1941 Airfield and visit, ID help needed with some bits   1941 Airfield and visit, ID help needed with some bits  

1941 Airfield and visit, ID help needed with some bits   1941 Airfield and visit, ID help needed with some bits  

?

desolate

Lovely airfield blue pipe is for water.

matty

The clay pitched tiles marked 'Electric' were used for decades to mark underground electric cables from the wartime up to recent years. Now replaced by Black (for electric) ribbed plastic ducting.

I love the wooden "launcher" one but no idea what it stored, same with all the other boxes.
    Marked RDX & TNT, I dare say something that went bang! I shall ask an ex RAF armourer friend of mine, he was in the mob in the 1970's and should know.

?

personally i would research the type of aircraft that operated from that airfield, then ID of the types of weapons used would become clearer, secondly i would start removing some of the more intact cans and wooden crates before anymore deterioration sets in, these will become collectable in the future, also check along the runways for hidden landing lights, these can be dug out

?

The base was used for ground force training and the boxes came from Lossiemouth and were used to build bunkers,The rocket boxes look like 68mm Sneb rockets and i think the black rubber socks are too.Most of the metal Ammo boxes are for 30mm ADEN Cannon rounds,If you look you at the sides you can see that there for left and right hand feed.