Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Metal Detecting in Europe?

Article about: On my last relic hunting trip in France 3 guys were arrested.for using medal detecting But nothing happen to them because they were not digging with the detector when they got pick up.I have

Default Re: Metal Detecting in Europe?

Quote by Rommel1942 View Post
    agreed, Chris. Hurtgen forest is where i am going to go.
    Russia is packed with relics and leftovers, but has very strict detecting laws. If you are planning on going to Russia, be careful
    I really want to go to Norvay.but I have to finish a couple of dig areas in Normandy good stuff.

HVK
    ?

ok what I tried to to say was... :-) That in my opinion, it is difficult to go to Europe and search for holliday for a few days - and doing this without guide. Of course you can help yourself with very good research. But it can be as finding the needle in the haystack. I have searched on battlefields that should be rich on equipment - finding little....

But I have also searched battlesfields where there as nothing to be read about them, nothing to see.... But with a guide finding a lot !

Part of the Hurtgne Forest is all dug up and you can see a small digging hole for each 2 meter. Off course Hurgtgen Forest is big - but again if you only have 3 days of searching that will be a gamble.....

Just my opinion..... :-) And yes of course - remember the laws.....

?

Quote by HVK View Post
    ok what I tried to to say was... :-) That in my opinion, it is difficult to go to Europe and search for holliday for a few days - and doing this without guide. Of course you can help yourself with very good research. But it can be as finding the needle in the haystack. I have searched on battlefields that should be rich on equipment - finding little....

But I have also searched battlesfields where there as nothing to be read about them, nothing to see.... But with a guide finding a lot !

Part of the Hurtgne Forest is all dug up and you can see a small digging hole for each 2 meter. Off course Hurgtgen Forest is big - but again if you only have 3 days of searching that will be a gamble.....

Just my opinion..... :-) And yes of course - remember the laws.....
    Gentlemen we cannot countenance illegal digging outside the laws of the relevant countries as i have stated so can those who are digging in Western Europe please explain how it is done in any location within the law in order that others may learn.

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thank you very much for the replies!

I might be going to France in October, but I have some questions.
    -Where can I get a metal detector from in Canada?
    - Do I require to show anything at the airport if I bring it along?
    And the biggest question is, where should I do some searching?
    Even if I cannot bring a metal detector along, I will still end up trying.

I've been reading about warfare for 8 years, and it was this year that I first got to go to France Holland and Belgium.
    While I was there a couple of months ago, I found 2 bullet casings near the Ulster Tower Memorial as well as some barbed wire.
    I also bought a helmet for 20 euros, which I need some help identifying.
    It looks like a british ww1 helmet, but it has the belgian flag on it.
    While in a museum in belgium, I saw it in an exhibit and it said that it was used from 1914- 1945.
    While I was there I tried in vain to buy a German Helmet. I have always wanted one that is rusted etc. I might be buying a reproduction one butI still want a rusty bucket.

?

agreed, Chris. Hurtgen forest is where i am going to go.
    Russia is packed with relics and leftovers, but has very strict detecting laws. If you are planning on going to Russia, be careful
    If you are aware of the strict legal requirements to metal detect within Russia can you please explain them ?

I have to add that unless you have very good local contacts and guides or are fluent in Russian and have a good knowledge of the country do not even think about turning up and wandering about over there !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

HVK
    ?

Ok the only laws I know for sure are the Danish ones...

The laws regarding digging WW2 relics in Denmark are not that problematic - but there is also less to find. In general you can search a ww2 site if you have the land owners permission. Many of the bunkers are lying on the beach which in general is public area. This means that it is not legal to dig there as you can destroy the grass holding the sand dunes together etc. but in general no laws against searching.

But in general nobody will ever care if you do it.....

Quote by Screaming Eagle View Post
    Thank you very much for the replies!

I might be going to France in October, but I have some questions.
    -Where can I get a metal detector from in Canada?
    - Do I require to show anything at the airport if I bring it along?
    And the biggest question is, where should I do some searching?
    Even if I cannot bring a metal detector along, I will still end up trying.

I've been reading about warfare for 8 years, and it was this year that I first got to go to France Holland and Belgium.
    While I was there a couple of months ago, I found 2 bullet casings near the Ulster Tower Memorial as well as some barbed wire.
    I also bought a helmet for 20 euros, which I need some help identifying.
    It looks like a british ww1 helmet, but it has the belgian flag on it.
    While in a museum in belgium, I saw it in an exhibit and it said that it was used from 1914- 1945.
    While I was there I tried in vain to buy a German Helmet. I have always wanted one that is rusted etc. I might be buying a reproduction one butI still want a rusty bucket.
    You can not use a medal detector in France.if you use one you must ask the farmer or the local official.I do not use one and i have had great luck

So I do not need a permit or anything? I just need to have the farmer/ local official's permission? Or is it harder than it sounds?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    If you are aware of the strict legal requirements to metal detect within Russia can you please explain them ?

I have to add that unless you have very good local contacts and guides or are fluent in Russian and have a good knowledge of the country do not even think about turning up and wandering about over there !!
    I have had some friends that have had many difficulties with authorities over in Russia when it comes to detecting. sorry, i can't identify any of the laws and what not, but i'm sure you can look them up.

As for France, metal detecting is strictly illegal. If you are caught detecting on land, there will be consequences. But the beaches are o.k, thats probably where you should go, even though there probably isn't much left.

I have had some friends that have had many difficulties with authorities over in Russia when it comes to detecting. sorry, i can't identify any of the laws and what not, but i'm sure you can look them up.

As for France, metal detecting is strictly illegal. If you are caught detecting on land, there will be consequences. But the beaches are o.k, thats probably where you should go, even though there probably isn't much left.
    Here one of my trick take a rope with a very very strong magnet and go in the river the stuff will be great and totaly legal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast