Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The best find ever (probably)

Article about: I thought i would share with you all an experience i had several years ago. I used to battlefield walk on the somme about 5 times a year. Finding the odd rifle and pieces of equipment, badge

Default The best find ever (probably)

I thought i would share with you all an experience i had several years ago. I used to battlefield walk on the somme about 5 times a year. Finding the odd rifle and pieces of equipment, badges ect: always gave me a buzz. But one day with a friend of mine, we were walking around the lip of Lochnagar crater when I noticed some irregularities in the ground.............. I have posted this link, as although the story is interesting it is rather long........ I hope that you enjoy it. BTW the pencil drawing was done by a freind of mine from the only known photograph that existed, Thanks to Geoff!

HELLFIRE CORNER - Somme - The Discovery of Pte. G. Nugent - Tyneside Scottish
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The best find ever (probably)   The best find ever (probably)  

The best find ever (probably)  

scobie
    ?

Default Re: The best find ever (probably)

very nice story.

It was a moving experience discovering the body,and even more so watching him being laid to rest. It took a long time to identify the remains and it was the razor bearing Pte. Nugent's name and number that finally convinced the authorities who it was they were dealing with . The staff at PS4 had little or no experience of researching WW1 soldiers - John Sheen(Author of "Tyneside Scottish") showed them the nominal rolls from his first book "Tyneside Irish" . He also showed them the rolls that he and his co-author, Graham Stewart, were preparing for "Tyneside Scottish." Having established the authority with which he could speak on the Tyneside battalions of so long ago, John called into play his 25 years' experience as a serving soldier in addition when he said that then, as now, soldiers were expected to shave every day, and to shave themselves. Thus a soldier's razor is one piece of kit which he carries with him into action. Furthermore, no soldier would shave with another man's razor if he could possibly avoid it, for obvious health reasons. Meeting the surviving members of his family was another highlight. And it is comforting to know that the lost soldiers are never forgotten.

What a great experence , awesome stuff , thanks for posting , cheers Raymond

Hi John, what a fantastic story! Thanks for posting it for us here.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Another one home, thanks to you, John.
    Thanks for bringing this story to our attention..

To Pte. George Nugent - Thank you for your service. God bless.
    Last edited by DonB; 09-05-2008 at 02:49 AM.

A job well done. There are some nere do wells who would have been less honorable and those artifacts would be in their collection and the family never finding out about their loved one. Again..great job!

Quote by packin9 View Post
    A job well done. There are some nere do wells who would have been less honorable and those artifacts would be in their collection and the family never finding out about their loved one. Again..great job!
    I'm not saying that it wasn't tempting to keep a few bits, after all that's the buzz, but on this occasion I left well alone, and when he was exhumed all the pieces were there, bar one ( a shoulder title) But in the end, the family were so grateful that they gave me a few pieces. They tried to give me the lot, but i just couldn't take the pen, or the razor, what i have got is nicely framed.

Ya did good. You should feel good.

Very nice story! May he now rest in peace.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast