Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 Gunnery range.....take 2 !

Article about: Jeez ! I have been out alot recently Suffice it to say that this will be the last post from me showing finds for a while as the wife is on the verge of divorcing me as i have been relic hunt

StenMk3
    ?

Default Re: WW2 Gunnery range.....take 2 !

Thank you Steve.

Just Wanted to know how you cleaned your finds?

I start by scrubbing them in warm soapy water with a 'mini' wire brush, (like the ones you get for cleaning suede shoes). Then I dry them and for really stubborn stains I clamp my electric drill in a vice, attach a wire brush attachment and then give each item a blast through the brush at max speed. Not many stains stand up to that !

The base of the cartridges come up as shown using this technique as well as the base nuts etc...

A word of warning though.....the electric drill technique is VERY abrasive and can destroy delicate finds. For those I either just stick to soapy water, or I use a mini tool like a Dremmel.

Hope that helps

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    I start by scrubbing them in warm soapy water with a 'mini' wire brush, (like the ones you get for cleaning suede shoes). Then I dry them and for really stubborn stains I clamp my electric drill in a vice, attach a wire brush attachment and then give each item a blast through the brush at max speed. Not many stains stand up to that !

The base of the cartridges come up as shown using this technique as well as the base nuts etc...

A word of warning though.....the electric drill technique is VERY abrasive and can destroy delicate finds. For those I either just stick to soapy water, or I use a mini tool like a Dremmel.

Hope that helps

Steve T
    I use cilit bang and sand from the beach

?

Yep ... the "mini brush" is infact a copper brush ... softer than brass, so won't hurt the cases ...
    Been using one of them for 35 years plus now for cleaning hard caked on crud !

[QUOTE=Steve T;83710]I start by scrubbing them in warm soapy water with a 'mini' wire brush,

Is the large disc the base of a 25 pdr base eject smk round?
    Cheers
    Hangarman

Certainly is Gary. I have had a couple of the spent rounds themselves and it fits perfectly

Hello Steve,
    The .303 cartridges which you asked about are certainly from use in the Bren. The horizontal strike adjacent to the primer is made by the ejector.
    Good luck in the home department!
    Cheers,
    Guy.

Thanks Guy

Interestingly, you made almost exactly the same comment back in 2009 (hard to think this was 4 years ago !), when I first posted this thread. Go take a look.........3/4 the way down the first page

Thanks Steve,
    Crikey, where does the time go? I'm afraid my 63 year old brain is a bit slow these days. I do have a degree from Oxford in modern history, when my Mother asked me what modern history was I told her, "It's what I did yesterday".
    All best,
    Guy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast