Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

69 years later a USMC Sherman disabled during a beach assault on Saipan comes to life in HD

Article about: Saipan is a small island located in the Marianas. It was the site of an extensive battle that lasted for a month in June 1944. Saipan was a Japanese territory after it was taken from German

Hawaii
    ?

Default 69 years later a USMC Sherman disabled during a beach assault on Saipan comes to life in HD

Saipan is a small island located in the Marianas. It was the site of an extensive battle that lasted for a month in June 1944. Saipan was a Japanese territory after it was taken from German possession following the end of the First World War. The Japanese considered it as a vital part of their defense strategy and as such fought desperately . Many soldiers and civilians resorted to suicide rather then face capture. This was the first real glimpse at the lengths the Japanese were willing to go to in order to defend their homeland. My Father served as a crew member on a B-29 that had been operating out of Southern China, the squadron was redeployed to fly out of Saipan and Tinian (a nearby island) to begin bombing sorties against industry on the Japanese mainland. I originally hoped to go and film a number of underwater relics including a Navy PBY as well as a few Japanese sunken aircraft and ships. Unfortunately I fell ill and was unable to dive. Instead I was able to film one of a few Sherman tanks that had been hit by Japanese fire and abandon during the initial invasion of the Island. I hope you enjoy.

My eventual goal is to film more Pacific war history in honor of the Soldiers, Sailors, Airman, and Marines that fought so gallantly as well as to help draw attention to the preservation of a lot of these historical sites that are spread throughout the Pacific.

HD allows for excellent viewing of the vibrant colors and the tenacity of the guardian fish.

Default Re: 69 years later a USMC Sherman disabled during a beach assault on Saipan comes to life in HD

Most interesting, thank you for sharing this.

Default Re: 69 years later a USMC Sherman disabled during a beach assault on Saipan comes to life in HD

A time capsule. That's really cool how it peaks out above the water.