Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.

Article about: Would that be the gentleman from Lowestoft who was removed from Flixton. Pity, it was a very good museum, apart from the rotting relics left outside. Metfield had the Luftwaffe's last UK cas

?

Default Re: 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.

Looking forward to pics of the next excavation, this armchair digging is quite a diversion! Good to see you're finding parts with an identifiable history, makes it even more special. Mag alloy is a nightmare and means I'll never dig up a Spit spade grip. Had a re dig on a Mk IX a while back but, as always, only found the pneumatics. Spitfire re dig - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums
    Fond memories of tea and chat at Bob's. Good 15 years ago now.

The Ultimate Dump Dig...........we return to dig more next weekend!

Pictures will of course follow on our USAAF Forum should there be anything else worthy of posting.

?

First item from the second dig, a spent link chute:

TTFN,
    PB

?

Hi Paul
    and welcome to the forum my old friend. I've been reading the info regarding your archeological activities with great interest. Looks like you've made some great discoveries over the past little while.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum from me too

Cheers, Ade.

?

Cheers chaps.

Hi Paul

Will there be any other photos of finds discovered on this dig ...? I'm sure lots of us have been waiting with baited breath to see what will emerge from this second - bigger - site ... propellor blades, engines, fuesalge sections .... ?

?

Well, the site was larger in area, but a lot shallower in depth..... most of the finds were concentrated in a layer about 18" deep, at a depth of between 2' and 6' depending on the slope of the land.
    As it was a general base trash dump, aircraft parts were few and far between, the majority was domestic and personal items. It had all been burnt and spread around too, so the preservation was variable.
    I'm sure Simon will have some more photos posted on the usaaf.co.uk forum in due course.
    In the meantime, here's a few more items I brought back...

H-1 bailout oxygen bottle:

B-17 brake pad:

Aerial insulators:

TTFN,
    PB

Hi Paul,

Nice finds ... particularly like the Johnson & Johnson US army toothbrush ... I've found quite a few of the ceramic insulators on my own (smaller) dump site ... I think that this stuff is just as interesting as the bigger aircraft related stuff .... Don't suppose you saw any Old Spice items emerge .... ?

?

Double post, sorry.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast