Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.

Article about: Would that be the gentleman from Lowestoft who was removed from Flixton. Pity, it was a very good museum, apart from the rotting relics left outside. Metfield had the Luftwaffe's last UK cas

Default Re: 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.

Paul,

You never cease to amaze ... !

Thanks, and I'll look forward to more pictures,
    Gremlin

?

I've put a selection of the better wartime colour photos of 8AF and 9AF Armourers at work online HERE.

All the best,
    PB

?

A couple of the smaller arming wire assemblies recovered the other day, part-cleaned:

I really need to find a supplier of new end swivels to finish most of the others, as being almost the only non-brass part they have corroded away.

TTFN,
    PB

Great thread two major bits which interested me, I now live in Metfield near the bungalow named after the "Lucky Penny" named after the plane which crashed on the airfield. Plus saw and heard the big dig going on while fishing at the nearby lakes (old gravel pits). Grew up with my dad and his family telling stories about what went in to the old pits, he and his brothers all had flying suits they used on their motor bikes which supposedly came of the back of lorries before they tipped. They had to cut the plugs and wires of from the heating elements before using them.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8