Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8th AF Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.

Article about: by ian_ Just found the link here: Warbird Information Exchange • View topic - Former 8th AF bases dump site digs... That's a lot of stainless steel! That's the thread on last year's

Default 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.

I have just about recovered enough to begin making a post in respect to this weekends dig. I know there are a few members of the team who have taken today off also through sheer exhaustion. We estimate there was 15 tons of aircraft parts removed from the gigantic hole the 360 excavated during the weekend & we trucked in 100 tons of soil to try & fill it after the parts were recovered, we still need another 100 tons of soil to reinstate the land!

I know there were a couple of forum members made an unannouced visit over the weekend to take a look the operation......

I will if anyone's interested post some pictures, I have a few but the official photographers have yet to send me the series covering both days & the recorded finds.

Simon.

Default Re: 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.

dear simon, i just read your info on the dig, im new to this forum and to excavating. im from the U.S.A. and find the relic hunting exremly fasinating. im a historian type, NOT a disrespectfull money making person. well, i just am a ww11 buff and would someday hope to join a team or anyone who would let me come along. ive talked with another person on the subject and he told me some good info. first off, excuse my knowlage on the subject im trying to do this the right way and hope not to disrespect ANYONE! today im going to fill out the page with my bio, so folks can know me better, so, if you can, if you could help me find help on the question....sincerly......frauline nie.

Hi Simon,

Thankyou for giveing us a bit of your time//advice on Saturday.

I still cant believe the amount of wreckage i saw coming out of the ground it really was an eye opener. Cant wate to see the photos.

Keep up the good work Andy.

15 tons! WOW! i can't wait to see the pictures i would loved to be there

John

?

I'm on the edge of my seat, can't wait to see the pics!

Get those pictures posted as fast as you can Bird Dog ! I can't WAIT !

Steve T

?

I'm up to my elbows cleaning the couple of bits that came home with me at the moment, but here's a sneaky peek at what's to come.

B-17 engine cowling panel, with serial number stencilled on the inside.
    In the second photo, note the brush-painted olive drab on top of what looks to be underside grey...

All the best,
    PB
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.   8th AF Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.  

It would appear that the method of uploading pictures here has changed & I have made a valiant effort to do so but regretably I am unable to make any picture posts here until I can fathom out a quicker method than this forum has. If anyone is much better experienced with picture uploads direct from PC & not URL's, then please feel free to educate me!!

I will perhaps just make all the postings on our fourm at Aces, Contrails & Unsung Heroes & link it to this page.

?

Thanks for the link Simon, liiking forward to more! The link doesn't seem to go anywhere, will more be appearing here?
    Aces, Contrails & Unsung Heroes • View topic - Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.

That cowl must be from an early B17. What else (approximately) did you find? Sounds a fantastic effort, you must be the first diggers ever to buy soil to refill a hole. It usually needs to be hidden!

?

Just found the link here:

Warbird Information Exchange • View topic - Former 8th AF bases dump site digs...

That's a lot of stainless steel!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast