Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Adrian Helmet from the Battle of Jarama

Article about: Gentlemen, This helmet was handed to me some days ago by a friend who lives in Morata de Tajuna, in the center of the fields where the battle of Jarama took place in 1937, during the Spanish

Default Adrian Helmet from the Battle of Jarama

Gentlemen,

This helmet was handed to me some days ago by a friend who lives in Morata de Tajuna, in the center of the fields where the battle of Jarama took place in 1937, during the Spanish Civil War. He found the helmet on the ground half uncovered, in a sloped terrain that was washed after a heavy rain the night before. These type of items are still found today on the fields of Morata on a regular basis.

I think this relic helmet might be from a soldier of the Lincold Brigade, of the International brigades, as they were the only forces wearing hese type of helmets on that period of the SCW. I am still not sure if it is french or italian, though. Maybe the experts here can cast a light on it.

The las photos show two bullets also found in the immediate vicinity of the helmet. I am a bit "scared" as the bullet is not deactivated, but I don´t dare to try to dismount the primer myself.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Adrian Helmet from the Battle of Jarama   Adrian Helmet from the Battle of Jarama  

Adrian Helmet from the Battle of Jarama   Adrian Helmet from the Battle of Jarama  

Adrian Helmet from the Battle of Jarama   Adrian Helmet from the Battle of Jarama  

Default Re: Adrian Helmet from the Battle of Jarama

there should be nothing to be afraid of about that round, just leave it as is
    cheers

pjm
    ?

This appears to be a typical French model 26 as delivered to foreign armies without the slots for a front plate. The liner suspension is the clue.

There are photos showing the Lincoln Brigade wearing this style helmet but it's hard to tell if they are wearing the Italian version or the French one.

In any case, there were also French units of the International Brigades at Jarama so it could also be associated with them.

Either way, it's a wonderful find in great condition. What's nice about this style helmet is that it is relatively common so, if one were so inspired, an original replacement liner would be easy to find. Unlike German or other liners, it attaches without any complicated or risky manipulation of either the leather or the steel suspension.

Gus

The cartridge is perfectly safe. Check the laws in the country where you live as it maybe illegal to possess live cartridges above a certain calibre. It can be deactivated if necessary but for now, it's quite happy being left alone

Steve T

Reg
    ?

Thats a great find Gus

Thanks for sharing it with us,

Gentlemen,

Thanks to all of you for your replies and nice words.

Regards,

Gus

?

Very interesting find!
    Looks like a chinstrap was cut down and probably removed from a soldier.
    Did your friend use metal detector?
    Seems like a reach place there!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Interesting that this helmet has no holes for the badge, and looks like the helmet has some handpainted insignia on the front
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Dimas,

Thanks or your reply.

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Very interesting find!
    Looks like a chinstrap was cut down and probably removed from a soldier.
    Did your friend use metal detector?
    Seems like a reach place there!
    No, he did not use any metal detector. In fact, he is not even a militaria collector. He finds rounds and stuff like this just laying down the road when he goes for a walk with his dog. This helmet was found a few weeks ago in a sloped area of the terrain near his home after a heavy rain, which had uncovered part of it. The bullet hole is clearly period made, it might have meant the death of the wearer, so they could have perfectly cut the chinstrap.

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Interesting that this helmet has no holes for the badge, and looks like the helmet has some handpainted insignia on the front
    I have also noticed the painted area on the front, but I am afraid it will be impossible to find out what it represents. I have burned my eyebrows looking for period SCW photos to see if there was something similar, but with no avail.

Regards,

Gus