Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

advice needed to preserve my aircraft pieces

Article about: ok need to post this asap as few people on here say that my wellington bomber aircraft pieces I have will turn to chalk in time unless I get penitrating oil? Would anyone know where I can ob

Default advice needed to preserve my aircraft pieces

ok need to post this asap as few people on here say that my wellington bomber aircraft pieces I have will turn to chalk in time unless I get penitrating oil? Would anyone know where I can obtain penitrating oil? searched online but I only found bulk packs of it. If I got some what do I do? I soak the relic in it for a day or few hours? drown the relic in it? also will it permanantly colour the treated relic black colour? or it will remain silver?

cheers

Default Re: advice needed to preserve my aircraft pieces

WD40 is what's known as penetrating oil, try spraying it with that. Otherwise you could try chucking it in paraffin or diesel for a while as this has similar properties, then giving it the WD40 treatment.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Just out of curiosity; why would your relics "turn to chalk" over time? Something about the material and the environment in which the relics were found?

Speaking from experience anything you bring out of salt water needs treatment almost straight away, even a fresh water bath for for a month replacing the water weekly (especially aircraft alloys) is a good start, if you want to do it quickly and cheap ,leave in a tub of diesel for a at least month checking up on it from time, this process is just to try and get the salts out of the object, which you may never do.
    After the month leave out for a little and see how fast the surface starts to flake up again, once out of any treatment you main aim is to seal it off from the air, iv used a matt clear coat on a few smaller objects and its turned out great. WD40 is great option although you may have to apply regular as the salt will continue to leach out for years to come and yes you are more than likely to loose the silver paint.

SLADOS28 - I think he is referring to the object turning in to a chalk like substance which flakes up which the metal reacting to air after a long submersion in salt water environment

anything you bring out of salt water needs treatment almost straight away, even a fresh water bath for for a month replacing the water weekly
    Indeed, I am beginning to have quite a bit of experience with saltwater relics myself so that's why I was curious to know why he then would have been advised to just get penetrating oil and seemingly simply apply it and be done with it (my interpretation at least)--- obviously, the saltwater need to be leeched out, by way of doing what you said there, if not the salts will crystallize and cause flaking/break apart and ruin the relic.

From my personal experience the process goes a little something like this:

1. Recover relic from saltwater, do not let it dry up.
    2. Submerge in fresh water, water to be replaced on a regular basis/weekly. Leave it there for a few weeks/a month (depending on size and construction of relic)
    3. Remove from water and leave to dry up somewhat, not for too long though and then apply renaissance wax (I usually stay away from oil, both due to preservation, depending on type of relic, and the resulting outward appearance of the relic itself after coating with oil.. shiny).

Works great from my experience... I have done this pretty successfully with 70+ years old wood, alu, leather, brass and steel relics recovered from saltwater.

Quote by kiwiwreckdiver View Post
    yes you are more than likely to loose the silver paint.
    they dont have silver paint but the pieces are silver coloured, does this mean I can just skip freshwater for a month and just directly WD40 them straightaway??

I would have thought the same process the RAFM are using on their newly raised Dornier wouldnt go amiss!

I would soak them in water - they will contain a lot of salt. This will react with the impurities in the metal and cause corrosion - I would leave them in the water for a couple of months at least, then take them out and see what happens. If you have corroded material I recommend getting it gently blasted with aluminium oxide, or soak it in Altrans for a week.

Your average hardware store should certainly carry small cans of penetrating oil.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by brataccas View Post
    they dont have silver paint but the pieces are silver coloured, does this mean I can just skip freshwater for a month and just directly WD40 them straightaway??
    NO always soak in water they have spent 70 odd years in the sea, you need to leech the salt out and then coat it in a sealant to prevent the air from from getting at it that causes the corrosion effect. Look up any local aviation museum or group they also might have a trick up the sleeve