Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Aircraft finds

Article about: I've butted in on a few other people's threads so thought I'd better start one of my own. I've been fortunate to attend or organise a fair few MoD licenced aircraft digs and here are some re

?

Default Aircraft finds

I've butted in on a few other people's threads so thought I'd better start one of my own. I've been fortunate to attend or organise a fair few MoD licenced aircraft digs and here are some recovered items which might be interesting:
    Mohawk BK877 crashed in Wiltshire in 1941, killing Squadron Leader John Dutton AFC. It was a French contract aircraft requisitioned by the RAF. The Brownings have been deactivated and certfied by the London proof house. Full story here:Aviation Archaeology - Excavations
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircraft finds   Aircraft finds  

?

Default Re: Aircraft finds

These are from a Spitfire abandoned by it's pilot, DC Goudie, over Birkenhead. He floated over the Mersey and landed on the roof of a Liverpool hospital. The Spitfire, P7533 buried itself in Birkenhead park. Most of the aircraft is on display at Fort Perch Rock Museum, New Brighton, Merseyside. The complete fuselage of the aircraft compressed itself into a ball 15 feet underground. More details again here: Aviation Archaeology - Excavations
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircraft finds   Aircraft finds  

?

More from Spit P7533.

WOW !

Nice aircraft parts you have found there. The Brownings......well....I DREAM of finding one of those beauties !

How do you get involved in the digs ? I'd love to go and help on one one day.

Steve T

Zable
    ?

That Browning looks in great condition, considering the state of the other wreckage. Was it found some distance away from the fuselage?
    Nice to know the pilot made it out, landing on the roof of a hospital probably summed up his day.

Thanks for sharing.

?

Thanks for the comments, the Brownings were at the very bottom of the hole, about ten feet down and approximately where they were positioned in the fuselage and wings. For every dig like these there are many many unfound sites, and lots more that just result in a patch of corrosion. Here are the mortal remains of a Blackburn Firebrand:

Steve, I'll kkep you posted on developments! Where are you in the Midlands? there is an active group, with an excellent museum (militaria as well as aircraft bits) at Sywell Airfield. It's also worth asking elderly locals fo sites: kids were always after souvenirs and the memories stayed!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircraft finds  

Very interesting,the Spitfire rudder pedal looks in great
    condition.Thanks for sharing.
    Regards Mike

hi, great post and pictures, i was curious as to if it was possible to get involved in these sort of excuvations, are you ever one man down on these sorts of things

regards Sam