Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !

Article about: Hey guys After my last post and visit I thought I had more or less cleared the area around the barracks of finds. I was sorting out my research on this and other sites when I suddenly notice

Default Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !

Hey guys

After my last post and visit I thought I had more or less cleared the area around the barracks of finds. I was sorting out my research on this and other sites when I suddenly noticed that, at some distance from the area I had been searching, there was ANOTHER set of barracks.

So I paid a visit yesterday and it was like starting over again . I got a large quantity of finds in the area and only searched about 20% of it . Needless to say I shall be returning !

So, here we go with the finds.

Firstly everything I got before cleaning....

And then after cleaning and disposal of bits of crap....

Now for some close ups. Firstly, three items that need identifying. The spoon head looks like it has 2 holes at the base. Part of a fold up cutlery set ? And the bakelite thingy....light switch ? earpiece for a flying helmet ?

Various bits lof lock and even a key

Lots of lids and a toothpaste tube, I think they're all WW2 era except maybe the plasters. What do you think ?

A strange container that looks homemade. The edges are by no means even. Wonder what it was made for ? It's far too small for a cigar holder but is that kind of size, if you know what i mean.

A couple of razor handles.

What I think is the remains of a flare gun cartridge. No visible markings in evidence. Its around 3cm in diameter.

Lots of bits of buckle and kit attachments.

Some 303 and a couple of 30cal cartridges.

A badge of some sorts. Which way up does it go ? Anyone know what it is off ?

I found a small stash of English coins, all in one hole. Someone was either very clumsy or I found another card game pot The older 1 pennies are dated 1873 and 1880. Nice to have two coins dated 1944.

Now for the stuff that got me all excited

Firstly some French coins. This, coupled with the below finds are evidence that the German POWs were housed here as well !!

And lastly the German items. 3 nice pebble buttons and a very unusual coin.

The 'renten' pfennig and mark were produced in 1923 and 1924 as an intermediate currency between the Papiermark and the Reichsmark. Strangely it was not legal tender but was accepted and used by the population and effectively stopped the hyper inflation. The Reichsmark was introduced as legal tender on 30th August 1924. Have a look on Wikipedia at the info as it makes interesting reading

Anyway, that's the lot.

Hope you like them !

Steve T

PS I have uploaded the pics below as well just in case my bucket ever fails ><
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !   Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !  

Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !   Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !  

Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !   Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !  

Default Re: Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !

Very nice!!!

Another great set of finds ... the buckle far right in 'buckles and other kit attachments' is a US Army M1937 enlisted man's open face buckle. The German items are interesting .... but my favourites are the US bits & pieces - especially the toiletry items .... some really nice bits of wartime Americana!
    Keep it up!

Thanks guys

Hi Steve!

Yet another nice thread about the aircrew barracks! I really look forward to these as they often give me a little research project to while away an hour or two!

Anyroads, the gold shield with the birds tail at the bottom(an eagle) is an example of one of many different kinds of a U.S.A.A.F officers cap badge or a part thereof. Here's a few more to show the diversification of the type in ww2. I believe these days they are all standardized.

Keep up the good work old son!!

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !   Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !  

Aircrew barracks - New area discovered !  

WOW !!!

Thanks Ned !

Hi
    Your strange container looks like a (ink( pen nib container?
    Dave E

Dave E

I think it's a bit big for that. If it wasn't so short, it would (as i said above) make a really good cigar holder. And I don't mean the little hamlet ones......I mean the big chunky Cuban ones

Steve T

Wow Steve well done you've done it again, finding your new site, superb finds and I'm sure many more to come. Looking forward to your future posts. Makes me think when I've finished with my airfields tip I'll give the former barracks site a going over. Bet you'll be back soon!!!!!
    Good luck and looking forward to your next post.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Good finds Steve,
    I've bought a metal detector but not had a chance to try it out yet. Do you think it will work when I'm sitting in a wheelchair or should I get a wooden Sedan Chair?
    Best regards,
    navyman.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast