Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Along the Saar

Article about: That's some of the best finds I've seen ( Very Nice )

?

Default Re: Along the Saar

Quote by Nick VR View Post
    Hi Bart

Thx for the replies. I would love to come with you guys some day. Finding my own German helmet has always been somewhat of a collectors dream of mine. Could you perhaps mail me the maps of the locations you searched. I might take a peek at those spots this summer...
    Hello Nick,

I am sorry to disappoint you put I am not going to give away the location. I have done over a year of research on the actions and locations, buying books, comparing maps, searching the internet and archives. I hope you understand .

I would just like to add that i fully understand where Bart is coming from. I did a lot of "digging" ion the Somme. going to places where the "tourist" would never go, and I would, and never will reveal the locations.

It took a long time of study to find locations that are still un touched, and believe me there still are!

I pride myself on the research I do on sites and have to say there is no-one I would tell where I have found my items, until I am satisfied I have got the majority of finds from the site !

I once agreed to swop information on sites with someone......and the information they gave me was not worth the information I gave them. Never again !

Steve T

?

Smile Re: Along the Saar

That's what i already thought!

Quote by Bart View Post
    Hello Nick,

I am sorry to disappoint you put I am not going to give away the location. I have done over a year of research on the actions and locations, buying books, comparing maps, searching the internet and archives. I hope you understand .

What are the artillery rounds in the last few pictures?

?

They are American 3" HE/AP shells as used by the M10 tank destroyer. Some still had the ballistic cap for improved AP capabilities.

?

Quote by Bart View Post
    Hello Nick,

Great post

Great finds

Great pics

I can understand that you are sesitive about divulging the location. After all it involves intensive research to find the right spots.

I have driven thousands of kilometres fraom Scandinavia to Narva with a friend to find some great spots. I have visited the three hills a few times. We found a lot of stuff and this was only possible after reading a good many books and doing a lot of research (most of done by my very friend who is heavy into research).

Thanks for posting

Sorry for the amount of pics. Dont want to hijack the thread but got a little carried away, as this is one of my favourite subjects.

Look forward to seeing more of your finds in the future.

PS
    The Saar region looks a bit more scenic than the region around The Three Hills
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Along the Saar   Along the Saar  

Along the Saar   Along the Saar  

Along the Saar  

I know this is an old thread and all but when I saw the M1 Garand with its bolt open I got chills.. the guy was probably killed while reloading :l Good finds though

?

We will probably never know. The Garand was field stripped and dumped in a hole along with the German messtins, US canteen e.o. you see earlier in this post. It also has a stress crack in the chamber. Sadly I didn't have the time to search much in the region again. Been back only one time about two months ago for a short time and we found this one:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Along the Saar   Along the Saar  

Maybe is was jammed so they just dumped it then..never will know but It looks like its made by Springfield armory though

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast