Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

American Airbase 21st Aug

Article about: I payed a visit to the airfield yesterday morning, and found a few interesting bits. 1 x Air Ministry data plate? 1 x American data plate containing the words - SIGNAL CORPS US ARMY 1 X Unid

Default American Airbase 21st Aug

I payed a visit to the airfield yesterday morning, and found a few interesting bits.

1 x Air Ministry data plate?
    1 x American data plate containing the words - SIGNAL CORPS US ARMY
    1 X Unidentified buckle
    1 x Peice of boot polish lid
    1 x American dining knife stamped - US OL
    1 X Mortar cap
    5 x Spent wartime dated .303's (with reminants of clip still in place)
    8 x post war (1952 dated) 7.62mm L1A1 rounds

Oh.... and 3 dart barrels

The mortar cap is a funny one... I've never found anything like this before at this base, so I'm pretty certain that there must be more knocking around there somewhere
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture American Airbase 21st Aug   American Airbase 21st Aug  

American Airbase 21st Aug   American Airbase 21st Aug  

American Airbase 21st Aug   American Airbase 21st Aug  

American Airbase 21st Aug  

Default Re: American Airbase 21st Aug

Good finds!

The buckle is from British 37 pattern webbing brace adaptors. It is missing a part as you can see here.

1940 brace attachment outside

Cheers, Ade.

Ahh, cheers Ade.

Hey Johnny

Nice set of finds. Very impressive

The instruction plate for the testmeter is very nice. Can't make out much of the writing on the American thing though so can't help there I'm afraid.

What the heck is a 2inch mortar cap doing there ? Only thing I can think of is that it fell off items that had been taken to your base for air drop.

Have attached a picture of the same type of buckle, found on my airbase earlier this year. Mine has a serial number on it. Check yours for one to

Cheers

Steve T
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture American Airbase 21st Aug  

Oh......I love the knife

?

The Signals Corps dataplate is off the side of a Reel RL-42-B, the motor drive part of the trailing antenna used with the SCR-287 Liasion radio set fitted in most large USAAF bomber and transport aircraft during WWII, as well as some Canadian-built Lancasters.

All the best,
    PB

Cheers Steve. I nearly ignored the signal for the Air Ministry plate, but changed my mind as I started walking away... glad I did now

I can't see any stamps on the buckle. It probably needs cleaning some more. How do you get your finds so clean?

The mortar cap is very strange. I'm doing a bit of sniffing about... I've got an inclining that there may be a firing range very close by!

Quote by Paul B View Post
    The Signals Corps dataplate is off the side of a Reel RL-42-B, the motor drive part of the trailing antenna used with the SCR-287 Liasion radio set fitted in most large USAAF bomber and transport aircraft during WWII, as well as some Canadian-built Lancasters.

All the best,
    PB
    Blimey... well spotted mate!

Not a bad find then!

Cleaning process involves......

Soapy water
    One of those coiled metal scourers
    A brillo pad
    Wire brush (suede shoe brush should be fine)

1. Clean in soapy water and give it a damn good scrub with the metal scourer

2. Rinse and check for any patches not removed. Tackle these again with scourer and if still not removed, use the brush

3. Rinse

4. Brillo pad the relic, using a small part of the brillo pad so you can really 'scour' deeply.

5. Rinse

6 Check for cleanliness. Should be good as new now

And if all that fails, either get a metal brush in an electric drill at high speed, or find someone with a sand blaster !

I am getting my electrolysis technic sorted and will let you know when it's perfected

Steve T