Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ancient spear top

Article about: Ancient spear top with a total length of 38 cm. Overall solid metal. Any information on the origin? Thx Regards

Default Ancient spear top

Ancient spear top with a total length of 38 cm. Overall solid metal. Any information on the origin?
    Thx
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ancient spear top   Ancient spear top  

Ancient spear top   Ancient spear top  

No idea I'm afraid. Did you dig this yourself? Reason I ask is that I do know there are huge numbers of fakes/reproductions f these and this one looks in remarkable condition.....perhaps too good?

No, I have not dug out,was excavated many years ago and since then used as showpiece. I studied it carefully and have not found anything that I referred to the recent creation.

It looks like the bottom end of a Roman Square Pilum and then you had the soft iron tip on the top end, the pilum was thrown and designed to bend as they stuck in shields and couldn't be thrown back at the Romans these are worth a small fortune because they are iron and rust due to its condition considering it would be around 1600-2000 years old, i would be very wary about it as steve said because they are easily faked by a good blacksmith,

?

Quote by James3567 View Post
    It looks like the bottom end of a Roman Square Pilum and then you had the soft iron tip on the top end, the pilum was thrown and designed to bend as they stuck in shields and couldn't be thrown back at the Romans these are worth a small fortune because they are iron and rust due to its condition considering it would be around 1600-2000 years old, i would be very wary about it as steve said because they are easily faked by a good blacksmith,
    This isn't Roman.
    I can't say where from but certainly not 1500 years or older.

im just saying it looks Roman the butt end of the pilum id doubt its roman as most artifacts are corroded or rusted in this good nick it would be thousands of dollars, its of roman design in my opinion

Ancient spear top

..looks like old lance head,maybe partisan local made,or Persian in origin ,patina is wrong for it being ancient.

It actually looks African styled to me, maybe made for a tourist. Not more than 150 years old I reckon.