Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another dug out item.

Article about: Haha if I find more of those fuzes, I will Send you one! Maybe you can re-bury them, wait 10 years and try to find them back xD haha

Default Another dug out item.

Hi guys,

It has been a while sinds I did some metaldetecting to find treasures. However, the weather is better in holland and its less cold so I thought lets give it a shot. After a afternoon of searching I wasn't dissapointed.
    Another dug out item.
    I assume the 3 shells were from a spitfire (one of them crashed nearby). These were 20mm H.R shells dated 1944.

However I am more interrested in your opinion about the item on the far left. I inmidiately thougt of a 30m panzerfaust head. After cleaning, I spotted some numbers (see detailed pictures).
    Another dug out item.Another dug out item.Another dug out item.Another dug out item.Another dug out item.
    Pritty clear markings don't you say? After some more cleaning I also found a Logo of somekind (see next pictures).
    Another dug out item.Another dug out item.

A little summary of the numbers from left to right:
    12 / 41 EMMCO (The oval Logo, the EMM Im pritty sure off). ASt ME 8/42 9 And on the broken edge its looks like a 4. The top is threaded and it looks like it contains some copper wiring inside, and a blasting cap. There also was a little ring on top of the item but it broke off.

So guys, any idea's of what it is? I appreciate al the input and information. I hope that you post some pictures of what it could have been.

Greetz,
    Xander.

Default Re: Another dug out item.

It is a nose fuze from a artillery shell or bomb nice find prolly german

Any idea what kind of Shell? Aren't most of the artillery shells not bullet shaped?

Anyone else ideas?

I think it is a No 231 nose fuze, but I'm not sure. Don't think it's a 119 as it has no knurling.

This type of fuze was used in many types of field artillery.

Google it and you will see

The pictures I See on google stil don't have the round edge, but the bullet shape.

You are not making any allowance for it being rather close to a very large explosion, which would have deformed it quite a lot. The top cap would not have survived the impact/explosion.

Its the deformed remnants of a No117 impact fuze heavily used on 25pdr projectiles and others,In the pictures of my cut example you can see the seperate machined segment at the top which on yours has pushed out of position due to impact/explosive force
    also attached is one i found a few years ago that belled out in a similar fashion to yours
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another dug out item.   Another dug out item.  

Another dug out item.  
    Last edited by spotter; 03-05-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Aaaah, I see. That indeed looks exactly like our nose fuse! You mentioned its used in 25pnd'er bombs, is this type of bomb+fuse used by allies? or also by the germans? Great info though! Next week I will sweep the rest of the area. I hope I will find more bomb related parts ^^

Its not a bomb fuze..Its an allied artillery projectile fuze, British, Canadian, Australian ,New Zealand etc used them

It is a nice find a friend of mine in geramn found almost 50 of them in one day not rare but wish i could find this type of thing in the United States

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast