Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Another Falaise Gap relic (Flak 38)

Article about: Back in February 1997 on my first visit to Falaise I drove up the 'corridor' and braked to a halt at the top of the hill past the Mont Ormel cafe : some ditch clearance had been going on and

Red face Another Falaise Gap relic (Flak 38)

Back in February 1997 on my first visit to Falaise I drove up the 'corridor' and braked to a halt at the top of the hill past the Mont Ormel cafe : some ditch clearance had been going on and a pile of 'rust' was alongside the road. Most recognizable object was a Panzer jack ( I couldn't even lift it and it certainly wouldn't fit in my car ). So I picked up another heavy but unrecognizable 'lump' encrusted with rust and mud. Whatever it was it must have been at the bottom of the ditch since 1944.

Back home, I tried to scrub it but couldn't figure what it was. So I sprayed it with WD40, wrapped it in a rag and left it in the garage. And then - believe it or not - forgot all about it until I remembered it when I revisited Mont Ormel recently. Last week I went and found it, unwrapped the rag and found that all the rust and mud had dried out and crumbled away. I chipped away the rest with a screwdriver and asked my pal Granatwerfer his opinion.

Straightaway he said 'Bolt from a 2cm Flak !'

You've got to hand it to him - he's dead right. Check toward the bottom of the link : -

German 2cm FLAK 38 Anti-Aircraft Gun

And of course....IT WAS THERE........

You lucky bugger, great find!.....

Red face

I remember being very disappointed at the time (I wanted the Panzer jack ! )

v/nice find.

cool find mate, Im going to start keeping all my rusty shit and storing them in oil hoping that one day they will turn into a 2cm bolt haha

- - ------- - -

cool find mate, Im going to start keeping all my rusty shit and storing them in oil hoping that one day they will turn into a 2cm bolt haha