Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Any Danger Here?

Article about: This was found several years ago and I never really thought about whether or not it was dangerous. I suspect not but would welcome your comments. 4inch Mk XVI shell

Default Any Danger Here?

This was found several years ago and I never really thought about whether or not it was dangerous. I suspect not but would welcome your comments.

4inch Mk XVI shell
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any Danger Here?   Any Danger Here?  

Any Danger Here?   Any Danger Here?  

Any Danger Here?  

IMHO It looks like a shell that was damaged in battle before it could be used. The primer was never fired and appears to be still live. Unless you hit it with a hammer you are probably OK. I would Just treat it as you would regular ammunition as it is technically still live but the primer alone won't blow your house up. Just to be safe, if you live near a military base you might call to see if anyone from EOD can take a look at it. The EOD tech's I know would always like you to be safe and appreciate it when you contact them.

Burt

CBH
    ?

I agree , probably only the explosive force of a .22 blank, if any explosive remains.

I believe there was a Naval Magazine fire and explosion in Dartmouth NS, this might come from that explosion, I forget the Date.