Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any ideas? Typhoon Engine Parts?

Article about: Picture................in my mind.................can't ..................... get ......................rid ...........................of..................... .. ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH ! PS

Default Any ideas? Typhoon Engine Parts?

Found in Normandy on 2TAF Advanced Landing Ground - Typhoons mainly.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any ideas? Typhoon Engine Parts?   Any ideas? Typhoon Engine Parts?  

Default Re: Any ideas? Typhoon Engine Parts?

Any markings on any of them Billers?

None Steve. Bottom has threaded ring and inside what look like two prongs and a Bakelite core. Top is hollowed and you'd think took a cable or aluminium tube. Founding a likely maintenance area and given the number found, a stock item.

Hi Billers,

My best guess is they are the electrical firing connectors for the 3" rockets used by Typhoons and other allied aircraft from 1943 onwards. It makes sense that these would be found on an airfield operating these 'planes. Below is a couple of pics showing how they were fitted and worked along with the projectile being loaded on a 'Tiffie' by armourers with the electrical firing 'tail' clearly visible. Whaddaya think?

Regards, Ned.

Edited to add additional images of the plugs being fitted and in position on the a/c.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any ideas? Typhoon Engine Parts?   Any ideas? Typhoon Engine Parts?  

Any ideas? Typhoon Engine Parts?   Any ideas? Typhoon Engine Parts?  

Last edited by big ned; 03-04-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added Pic's.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, those are them! Just surprised we didn't find more cable. Nice spot ..... Thanks

Damn, i'm good.....Modest too!
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Nobody likes a smart arse, but I am willing to make an exception in your case Ned

Is it a bird, is it a plane? nooo it's superNed!...

The thought of Ned in a figure hugging pink suit like that just fills me with dread........

The posing pouch looks a little snug.....It needs to be bigger. And what's the idea of the limp wrist for chrissakes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast