Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The Ardennes and Bastogne Trip at Christmas

Article about: Gentlemen, I am planning a short trip to the Ardennes and Bastogne this Christmas, will be in-between Christmas and New Year, will be a nice break from all the Christmas nonsense on TV and s

Default The Ardennes and Bastogne Trip at Christmas

Gentlemen,

I am planning a short trip to the Ardennes and Bastogne this Christmas, will be in-between Christmas and New Year, will be a nice break from all the Christmas nonsense on TV and shop sales and such like.
    I have a Hotel booked in Bastogne for 3 nights so unless there is really bad weather i will be off

I am a big fan of Band of Brother's, it must be the best ww2 production of recent times.
    Want to try and visit some of the iconic locations.

I have seen on TV that some of the old 101st fox hole positions can still be seen in the woods on the perimeter of Bastogne but i am not certain where ?

Anybody have details please?

Cheers

?

Shame you're not going early December as the Band of Brothers actors are having a reunion on the 9-11th.

I was there mid 2015 and my advice would be get a private day tour on your first day then spend the next two days going back to anywhere of particular interest and the numerous museums. The private tours aren't the cheapest option but I feel without that local knowledge you'll miss out on a lot and you can tailor it to what ever your interests are. I wont recommend my guide, he was very knowledgeable but didn't have much in the way of people skills.

Alex

Lightbulb

Do try to get hold of a copy of 'Bastogne Band Of Brothers Guide' by Robert R Allen ( Self-published 2013, ISBN : 1456461176 ISBN-13 : 978-1456461171 ).

This little book gives a virtual step-by-step guide to the 'Band of Brothers' sites, with maps and photos. I ordered my copy via Amazon earlier this year.

Have a great trip !

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Shame you're not going early December as the Band of Brothers actors are having a reunion on the 9-11th.

I was there mid 2015 and my advice would be get a private day tour on your first day then spend the next two days going back to anywhere of particular interest and the numerous museums. The private tours aren't the cheapest option but I feel without that local knowledge you'll miss out on a lot and you can tailor it to what ever your interests are. I wont recommend my guide, he was very knowledgeable but didn't have much in the way of people skills.

Alex
    Thanks Alex, its a shame I will miss the reunion but i have to tie it in with the Christmas break from work

Cheers

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Do try to get hold of a copy of 'Bastogne Band Of Brothers Guide' by Robert R Allen ( Self-published 2013, ISBN : 1456461176 ISBN-13 : 978-1456461171 ).

This little book gives a virtual step-by-step guide to the 'Band of Brothers' sites, with maps and photos. I ordered my copy via Amazon earlier this year.

Have a great trip !
    Thanks Martin, I did notice the book last night after a quick Google search, a definite purchase in the next few weeks !

Cheers

I think you should definetely visit the 506th monument, it is laying on the road if you are driving from Bizory ( near Bastogne) to Foy. If you drive pass the monument, you have a forest on both sides. Especially on the left side, there are many foxholes of the 506th easy compagny. From here they started there offensive towards Foy. If you drive even further, you come into the small town of foy, where you can still see bullet and shell impacts on the houses. Also a nice thing to vist is the airborne museum, in Bastogne itself.The Ardennes and Bastogne Trip at ChristmasThe Ardennes and Bastogne Trip at Christmas

The first image gives the location of the monument, the second image give the location of the foxholes.

The Ardennes and Bastogne Trip at Christmas Shell and bullet holes still visible today on the houses in Foy, as seen by google maps street view..

?

That Foy house close up:

Arrow

And here's how one of the famous foxholes looked ( taken before the TV series was made..)

?

I visit the area about 6 or more times a year guiding Tours , mentioned above are the most well known positions of 506 PIR and a nice photo by Martin prior to the series ,unfortunately since then the area has been hammered by metal detectors but all the outlines are still there . Probably the best preserved positions now are those on the ridge above Recogne where elements of the 501 and 506 were in action as not many folk go up there ! There is also a memorial to Native Americans up there !

George Koskimaki's Battered Bastards of Bastogne is also worth getting.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast